PDA

View Full Version : How soon to reapply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Honcho
04-28-2015, 02:31 AM
Hey guys! Been reading everything I can on AG about car detailing. With so much info out there about car care you guys really break it down so a noob like me can understand it. Okay...I purchased a 2011 Lexus about 2 weeks ago and plan on applying Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 after a good wash/dry/claying. The paint actually looks pretty good on the car with no swirls. (Matador Red Mica). Would I be wasting Sealant if I reapplied it say every month? Does it "build up" for added protection? You guys rock! Thanks, John.

Goin Rogue
04-28-2015, 03:01 AM
I say yes you would be wasting it. I used it on my wife's car that sits outside 24/7 and it lasted 5 months.

Mike Honcho
04-28-2015, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply GR. What do you recommend for a monthly "tune up" or is the Wolfgang 3.0 all I need until reapplying every 5-6 months?

Goin Rogue
04-28-2015, 04:42 AM
From my experience the sealant works great by itself. If you wanted to you could top it with your favorite wax.

tpr1634
04-28-2015, 05:23 AM
On my F150 I did 2 coats, it's out side 2 coats as well on my wife's car it's garaged.
I may boost it with 845 here and there....:buffing:

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2015, 06:54 AM
How often you reapply depends on your conditions and care. Really hot temperatures and sun are likely to degrade the sealant as are lots of rain, acid rain, winter salt, etc. Also how often you wash, what shampoo you use, and your washing/drying technique will have some effect as well.

I would not consider reapplying once a month "wasting", but merely providing the best protection. After all, many use a spray wax at every wash, which could be more often than once a week, and no one accuses them of wasting spray wax. However, you may be able to get more than a month before the properties degrade to the point at which you'd like a refresh.

MarkD51
04-28-2015, 07:23 AM
How often you reapply depends on your conditions and care. Really hot temperatures and sun are likely to degrade the sealant as are lots of rain, acid rain, winter salt, etc. Also how often you wash, what shampoo you use, and your washing/drying technique will have some effect as well.

I would not consider reapplying once a month "wasting", but merely providing the best protection. After all, many use a spray wax at every wash, which could be more often than once a week, and no one accuses them of wasting spray wax. However, you may be able to get more than a month before the properties degrade to the point at which you'd like a refresh.

Setec's reasoning sounds logical. I figure it's better to stay on top of a vehicle's condition, rather than lag and wait too long between re-applications. This would help insure many years from the paint finish with little to no degradation as time passes.

On average, I'd say 5-6 weeks would probably be about optimum.
This all depends upon the time you are willing to invest. There are times, because of weather, or other personal demands, that one cannot refresh as often as they like. That's the purpose I suppose of using durable sealants, waxes or coatings. Less maintainence for the owner.

As also mentioned, many use spray waxes or other products like detail sprays after a wash, and something like Duragloss Aquawax, or another such durable but very easy to use product after a wash will help stretch the longevity of the initial-original LSP.

I'd figure on average, one will probably use about 1oz of WGDGPS 3.0 per application on an average vehicle, so this will give you some idea how long any given size bottle will last.

The product spreads well, and goes pretty far, and as others would say, just like I've found, laying down heavy coats adds no benefit and in fact can maybe make removal a little more work. 3.0 is an outstanding product, superb I'd say, and is very easy to apply and remove. Gives breathtaking final results!
Mark

Mike Honcho
04-28-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks!!!

Mike Honcho
04-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Wow, 1 oz. per car! I didn't realize it took such a small amount to achieve great results.

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2015, 07:31 AM
Wow, 1 oz. per car! I didn't realize it took such a small amount to achieve great results.

I'd say once you develop your application technique, you should be able to use less than that.

goldenlight
04-28-2015, 07:41 AM
If you don't own one, you may want to invest in an entry dual action polisher so you can touch it up with a Quality finishing polish.. Using the polisher will show you how a thin coat of wax is suppose to look.

FUNX650
04-28-2015, 07:47 AM
As previously mentioned:
There are many factors that go into determining how long a sealant will last.
My way of looking at "refreshing" a Sealant, or other LSPs, is:
It's indispensable to reapply your coat of protection before the previous coat runs out.

Some people judge this "runs out" by watching how water beads or sheets off the vehicles' paint. If the water begins to not behave as they perceive it once did: they say it's time to reapply/refresh. Not an exact science...but also not a bad rule-of-thumb, IMO.

There are also products like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant, and Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz that people will use as Sealant "enhancers/extenders". As far as I'm concerned: Nothing wrong that.

Bob

MarkD51
04-28-2015, 07:58 AM
I'd say once you develop your application technique, you should be able to use less than that.

Agreed, I think at most, it only took about a tad more than 1oz do to my entire 4dr Tahoe SUV, including the roof when I used to use this product on the SUV (it now wears CQ UK Ceramic Coating)

If applying by hand, a Foam Applicator will help lessen waste, and help the product spread thinner versus a MF Applicator IMO.

Mike Honcho
04-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Bob - What's the difference between Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant, and Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz?

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Bob - What's the difference between Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant, and Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz?

What I really want to know from Bob is--what is the difference between 725 HP and 650 HP?

The Detail Spritz is a quick detailer, while the Spritz Sealant is a spray sealant...so basically the detailer is a cleaner for light dust and fingerprints, giving you some gloss enhancement, while the spray sealant is an easy-to-apply sealant to refresh your base sealant.