PDA

View Full Version : Newb from Chicagoland/NWI

Pages : [1] 2

SamRothstein
04-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Hi all, new guy from just outside of Chicago in Northwest Indiana here.
Here's my long first post: Before recently, all the attention I'd ever give my vehicle was a random hand (brush) wash or drive through car wash systems. With the acquisition of a 2015 Subaru Outback, I decided to change that bad habit and put a little effort into maintaining the family vehicles. I have a 2010 Corolla, 2011 Triumph Speedmaster motorcycle, and the Outback. To start I picked up some Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax, along with NXT wax, and Meguiar's Clay kit. I washed and waxed the Outback by hand, and the results were good, or so I thought at the time. Then I washed, clayed and waxed the bike, and the results were ok, but I knew they could be better since there are still some scuffs and swirls in there. Then came the scuffed and oxidized and generally neglected Rolla. I decided I needed some help, so I picked up the Harbor Freight DA, and the only pads readily available which were crap HF foam pieces of trash. I washed and clayed the car, then I decided to use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on an oragne cutting pad, followed by Ultimate Polish on a blue polishing pad, finished off the the NXT on a blue finishing pad. The results were that the paint on the doors, hood, roof and trunk gleams like brand new, but all the tiny rock chips and accumulated grit on the front bumper REALLY stands out now!

I'm considering having the bumper repainted - my neighbor has a friend that does paintwork professionally and will do it for $150. I've seen his work, and it's quality. He just repainted the front end on my neighbors Lexus, and took it from paint, to bare metal in spots back to brand new looking paint in a couple hours.

Now comes the time to rewax the car, maybe hit the bike with some polish, and more importantly, order some quality pads for the DA! I'm thinking some 5.5" for general usuage, and 3" for getting into the nooks and crannies of the bumpers?

SamRothstein
04-28-2015, 04:59 AM
Should also so, I've learned heaps from this site, and never would have attempted to do what I did without stumbling across this place. The Corolla is white, the Outback is a blueish grey (carbide grey) and the bike is Metalic black.

TL;DR: before a couple weeks ago I'd never waxed a car in my life. Now I've done two cars and a bike, and did a full compound, polish and wax on one of the cars, thanks to this site.

Ezmoney
04-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Welcome for NWI!

Lots of helpful and friendly folks here.

(Seems like you kinda figured that one out already)

04-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Welcome to AGO Sam!

SamRothstein
04-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys. After digging a little deeper, I can already see I need to back and at least rewax everything, after ordering some better pads of course! I had no idea about the "swipe" method before now :wow:

ShirtlssCubsFan
04-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Go Cubs?

kevincwelch
04-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Welcome!

Come to the Chicagoland (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/88995-interest-chicagoland-meet.html) meeting in June!

MPBGT
04-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Welcome, I'm in Munster. There are quite a few NWI and Chicago geeks on here

SamRothstein
04-28-2015, 07:57 PM

Oh cool! Griffith here. Do you know of any places on the ground here to get buffing pads in a pinch? The POS harbor freight pad I was using separated from the velcro backing, and no auto parts or hardware joints had anything usable.

MPBGT
04-28-2015, 08:05 PM
K&K automotive supply in Griffith is where I buy my automotive paint, they carry some pads and 3M compounds also Van Senus in downtown highland. The selections won't be as good as Autogeek. I usually order all my detailing and compounding stuff online and buy the actual paint locally.

SamRothstein
04-28-2015, 08:10 PM
That's good to know. I'll be ordering online as well, but it's good to have options in s jam!

SamRothstein
04-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Welcome!

Come to the Chicagoland (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/88995-interest-chicagoland-meet.html) meeting in June!

Somehow missed this on the mobile site, and just noticed you're in Oak Park where I used to live! The meet up sounds interesting for sure.

DealerDetailer
04-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Welcome from Northern burbs in Illinois!

This forum has amazing people and information.

Loonysup
04-29-2015, 04:31 AM

I grew up in Munster and graduated from MHS in 89. I've only been back a few times since 92 but still consider it home.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
04-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Welcome Sam!

BTW are you still in the gambling business? If so, I need a good pic because I could use some money to mod my car further. If so, come on out to our Detail Day that Kevin mentioned earlier and let me know.

One more thing, PLEASE don't bring Nickey either....THANKS!!!