PDA

View Full Version : Sore palm after day of polishing???

pricha00
09-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Using my new UDM for a few hours yesterday and the palm of the hand that grips the handle is pretty tender right now. Is there any way to avoid this in the future? Would some type of foam over the hard plastic handle lessen the jarring? Am I unique as far as this issue goes? I love the machine and I will imagine I will be using it quite frequently so any remedy would be great.

Thanks, Pat.

Jimmie
09-02-2007, 01:17 PM
You're not alone. A number of people have had hand and arm problems after their first few sessions with a buffer. More often than not it is too much grip pressure causing strain. Grip it softly (not loose). On a scale of 1-10 about a 5 grip pressure is good. I'm not saying that this is the problem but may be worth looking at.

DantheMan
09-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Take the handle off. The only thing its good for is being able to lay the polisher down without your pad touching the ground.. Far fewer vibrations while holding the head as well.

klumzypinoy
09-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I hold the UDM by the head, I seem to have to grip more when I use the handle.

RTexasF
09-02-2007, 03:55 PM
If only your palm is sore you're in good shape!

Nica
09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your palm, that was the main reason why I steped up to my Metabo. But I thought I'd heard UDM users say it vibrated less then the PC...well maybe it does but I'm guessing the UDM still vibrates right? Sorry, I don't own a UDM.

But just thought I'd post and get a general idea of the UDM that's all.

Pauly6401
09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, don't use the handle. The only part of the buffer that I apply pressure to is just above the pad so that it can do its work. The handle makes you have to apply more pressure than you would normally have to in order to put an equal amount of pressure over the pad (physics!). Plus, without using the handle you can adjust your grip a lot of different ways and switch out positions.

toyoman
09-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Like Tex said, if that is all that is sore then you are in good shape. I got to try out my new PC and XMT products yesterday on my wifes 06 Avalon (will post pics soon) and after 6 hours (what can I say, i'm a newbie at this) I don't think there was a place on me that wasn't sore. By the way, the car turned out SWEEEET!! Can't wait to do my truck & Harley Ultra Classic.