PDA

View Full Version : Claying a black car

CaPpedDoG
04-26-2015, 08:33 PM
So I'm looking to do my first ever waxing this week on my new (to me) black Mustang GT. The shipment of supplies should be here tomorrow or the next day. I was planning on Iron-X'ing the car and then claying... however I just read a bunch about claying a black vehicle and it sounds like it could cause problems if I don't polish (which I won't be doing... don't have the equipment.) Should I skip claying and just use Iron-X and then wax? Cheers

asalesagent912
04-26-2015, 08:49 PM
no i would not skip the clay. it sucks trying to wax a car that has to be clayed. my suggestion is to use plenty of lube and don't press very hard as you clay.

Bobbykart
04-26-2015, 09:57 PM
I always polish after a clay job.

custmsprty
04-26-2015, 10:02 PM
I'd skip it if you can't polish.

AnthonyGXP
04-26-2015, 10:08 PM
It's NOT necessary to polish after you clay. However, the chance of you seeing any micro-marring would be greater on black. LUBE, LUBE, LUBE, and you should have no problems going straight to wax.

Use a little more caution during the clay process if you decide not to polish.

You could also opt to use a mild cleaner wax after clay to clean any residual defects.

Breese147
04-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Do a small 5in test spot on a place that you wouldn't mind messing up. Then use a light and see if there's any really noticeable swirls/micromarring. Good luck!

AutowerxDetailing
04-26-2015, 11:09 PM
No matter what you do there will be spots where the clay will cause at least light marring. This happens on any color car; however, it will be increasingly evident on your black paint. No matter how much lube, what brand of clay, how light of pressure you use, it's going to leave marring. Think about what a claybar is. Detailing clay is an ABRASIVE suspended in a malleable polymer media that scrapes off bonded surface contaminates. While "mild" or soft clay will potentially not itself inflict marring, the potential for sheered off contaminates to drag across the paint is always there.

CaPpedDoG
04-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Hmm.. now I'm really confused :laughing: I'll try a small area and see how it is. I purchased Meguiar's Clay Kit (comes with Quik Detailer.) Is this good quality clay? Should I use the QD or ONR (have some on the way) for lube?

kecko
04-27-2015, 12:52 PM
I've used the Meguiar's clay several times and never had any issues with it. I've heard most clay in the US comes from the same place anyway. However, you might want to buy a second bottle of quik detailer. As others have mentioned you need to really lube the surface and the supplied bottle of detailer was never enough for me to get the job done. I used about 1/4 of a second bottle.

Before you even do any of this make sure the car is washed properly. Do you know what the 2 bucket wash method is? If not look it up on Youtube. That will help immensely. You're also using Iron X which will remove allot of the crap the clay would have picked up in the first place so wise decision with that purchase. Keep the scrubbing to a minimum and don't introduce more contamination into the process.

Let me add, this is the first summer that I will try my hand at polishing after claying and my cars always looked decent but I always took my time washing and doing that part correctly. In the past I have always had silver or white (My current car, which is red, is my first car that shows the swirls more) cars so the swirls and marring were much less noticeable but of course they were there. Like you, I, didn't have the polishing tools but don't let that stop you from doing as much as you can to protect the paint. Your Mustang will come out decent once you Iron X, Clay and wax but as mentioned you will likely see some swirls and marring. That beats having no protection on the paint thought, right? Let us know how it works out for you.

Creedmoor
04-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Nanoskin Autoscrub fine grade sponge is my pick. A lot less work than clay and does the same job. $12

http://goo.gl/GbDDbK

I use their Glide in the water along with Mr. Pink

http://goo.gl/G1RLPr
When you don't have time and want some protection, I recommend Eagle One Nanowax. You won't believe the shine and how easy and little time it takes.

http://goo.gl/3Ml9u6

Kamakaz1961
04-27-2015, 01:07 PM
From 1 Black Mustang guy to another Iron X, wash and CLAY and then IF you need to polish then do so. If not, go to your LSP. I just washed and clayed (Nanoskin Blue Disc) my ride this weekend (No Iron X). For lube I used Pinnacle Rinseless Wash/w Carnauba at a higher concentration level. Just make sure you have PLENTY of lube on your panel when you clay. I did not need to polish my ride.

I put on a sealant (Menzerna Powerlock) and then I put on Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax as my LSP. I did this yesterday. Here are a couple of pics.

My point being, you will be fine! I would not worry so much about polishing, especially, since your ride is brand new. If you need to polish then do so. IMO polishing will not be the issue. Making sure your ride looks clean is all that matters. So Iron X, Wash, clay and then LSP!! :xyxthumbs: