PDA

View Full Version : I didn't mean to write a review!

Pages : [1] 2

tedj101
04-26-2015, 04:18 PM
I didn't mean to write a review. I got the new DP tire coating kit, but I didn't have time to coat tires today. So I just figured I'd do what I always do to the tires and wait till next month to try the coating.

Well, things didn't go so well. After two cleanings with APC+ and a stiff brush, the tires still had horrible brown bands on them.

I took pictures to seek help on how to get rid of it. The first picture below is that one. You can clearly see the brown bands on the tire.

Before asking for help, I decided to try the cleaner from the DP kit. Right away I knew good things were happening. What looked like coffee was running off the tire onto the driveway. After a thorough brushing, the tire was like new. The middle picture is that one.

I was really short of time at that point, so I just finished the tires with a single coat of Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire shine (I like a natural look to tires) and the tires looked great. See the final tire picture for the result.

I guess the bottom line is that I have found my tire cleaner. This one's a keeper!

<TED>

Setec Astronomy
04-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Now that's the kind of thread I like, problem solved in the first post. Now I can go back to being lazy.

Sicoupe
04-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Looks good TED!

Souldetailer
04-27-2015, 06:33 AM
Excellent, nothing like a situation coming out in your favor. Good job, looking good. I also prefer that natural clean look. Thanks for the info, take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Mike Phillips
04-27-2015, 07:50 AM
The visual difference between before and after are quite dramatic.

I'm going to wash my truck and my truck tires tonight. The truck has been offline for almost 2 months and is quite dirty and the DP Tire Coating on the tires while it looks good I need the tires looking great so they're getting a refresher coat tonight.

:dblthumb2:

dlc95
04-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Nice! Looks great. Thank you for the report!

whavens
04-27-2015, 09:22 AM
The visual difference between before and after are quite dramatic.

I'm going to wash my truck and my truck tires tonight. The truck has been offline for almost 2 months and is quite dirty and the DP Tire Coating on the tires while it looks good I need the tires looking great so they're getting a refresher coat tonight.

:dblthumb2:
I have been wanting to do a refresh on my girlfriend's Mini. Can I just clean the tires with the DP tire cleaner from the kit and then re-coat? I have been wary of not taking them all the way to clean rubber to re-coat.

Thanks,

Walter

tedj101
04-27-2015, 07:06 PM
I have been wanting to do a refresh on my girlfriend's Mini. Can I just clean the tires with the DP tire cleaner from the kit and then re-coat? I have been wary of not taking them all the way to clean rubber to re-coat.

Thanks,

Walter

Yeah, I would like to see the answer to that too!

<TED>

Rsurfer
04-27-2015, 07:24 PM

Thanks,

Walter

Yeah, I would like to see the answer to that too!

<TED>

Not being facetious, but I wouldn't wax a dirty car.

tedj101
04-28-2015, 04:48 AM
Not being facetious, but I wouldn't wax a dirty car.

Sure, but the question wasn't would you wash it, but would you wash it with a particular product (DP tire cleaner). The OP wasn't talking about a start over, he was talking about a top up. I think he (and certainly I) wanted to know if using the DP cleaner would take off the DP coating or just clean over it so you could top up what was already there.

Mike Phillips
04-28-2015, 01:41 PM
I have been wanting to do a refresh on my girlfriend's Mini.

Can I just clean the tires with the DP tire cleaner from the kit and then re-coat?

I have been wary of not taking them all the way to clean rubber to re-coat.

Thanks,

Walter

Hi Walter.

What I've been doing without any problems is to gently wash with my normal car wash soap to remove any surface road grime.

Then I re-apply the DP Tire Coating.

Like all things I do I keep it simple especially if simple works. I have not seen any down side to this and my tires are huge.

It's raining really hard here today and yesterday we had hail the size of ping pong balls. I'm going to try to wash and wax my truck on Wednesday after work and if I do I'll take some pictures showing my tire process.

To be honest, the tires still look great. But when I have a detailing boot camp class I like my personal driver to look good.

Training Cars for May 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/89864-training-cars-may-2015-detailing-boot-camp-class.html)

:)

Rsurfer
04-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Sure, but the question wasn't would you wash it, but would you wash it with a particular product (DP tire cleaner). The OP wasn't talking about a start over, he was talking about a top up. I think he (and certainly I) wanted to know if using the DP cleaner would take off the DP coating or just clean over it so you could top up what was already there.

I have not used the DP Kit, but if the cleaner does not remove the dressing, it's not a very good cleaner.

Mike Phillips
04-28-2015, 01:50 PM
I have not used the DP Kit, but if the cleaner does not remove the dressing,

It's not a dressing.... it's a coating

Huge difference there rsurfer.

:props:

Rsurfer
04-28-2015, 01:55 PM
It's not a dressing.... it's a coating

Huge difference there rsurfer.

:props:

My bad, I meant coating. So will the cleaner remove the coating?

Mike Phillips
04-28-2015, 02:17 PM
My bad, I meant coating. So will the cleaner remove the coating?

No. And that's a testimony to how tough the coating is.

The coating creates a semi-permanent flexible membrane on the tire.

Assuming a person uses the cleaner first and gets the sidewall down to a clean base, then the coating is going to bond to the rubber and like designed.... not come off.

I'd have to check with Nick to see what it will take to remove this coating but whatever it is it will likely have to chemically dissolve it, we're talking about using a liquid, probably a strong solvent of some type strong enough to break molecules apart.

We're talking something like Lacquer Thinner maybe as harsh as Acetone and that's not going to be good for the rubber.

I'm not a chemist and have never tried to play one in the forum world for going on 21 years now.

I will tell you this however, I've applied this and not worn gloves and got the coating on my hands and it forms a flexible layer on my hands that doesn't wash off. In fact the only way I've been able to get it off is to scrape it off with my fingernail or let it wear off with time.

It's a cool product but needs to be used according to the directions.

It's not designed to come off, at least not easily.

I think this is the last picture I took of my truck, it's a few months old but that's the DP Tire coating on 40" Toyo's.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=71106

And like I mentioned before, I'm going to wash the sidewalls gently with car wash soap and then apply a fresh coat or two.

:)