PDA

View Full Version : New paint full of minor swirl marks, can it be fixed?

jproy12
04-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Just had my rear bumper replaced and repainted by a bodyshop in my city. Car's color is a Tuxedo Black, and car only has about 1900 miles on it. It seems like they did a buffing job on the brand new paint/bumper and caused minor swirl marks all over it that can only be apparent in the sun/direct light, the remaining of the car is swirl free.

Question I had is; can it be fixed easily? I know there's a curing period for the paint/clear, approx 30 days (from what I've been told), they also bake their paint, so I'm not sure if the damage done to the paint can be fixed, if at all? The clearcoat is still very soft, so I assume poish compound and buffing is what caused the swirl marks as it's not fully cured yet.

Any help would be appreciated, I just want to see my options before going back to see the bodyshop Monday morning.

Alternatively, I assume another clearcoat could fix the swirl marks?

Eandras
04-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Most likely it can be fixed. Post some pictures so some advice can be provided.

Ed

jproy12
04-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Most likely it can be fixed. Post some pictures so some advice can be provided.

Ed
I'll try to get some pictures, but car is someone dusty now, not sure if I'll be able to capture the swirl marks, no more sun as well :(

My biggest concern was that since the swirl marks are in the new fresh paint, that nothing could be done to remove them, almost like baked in there now?

Billy Baldone
04-25-2015, 08:59 AM
They should come out. You might have to wait until the paint is cured, but they should buff out like most other swirls

jproy12
04-25-2015, 10:26 AM
They should come out. You might have to wait until the paint is cured, but they should buff out like most other swirls
That's what I was wondering, if they would eventually come out, very disappointed that the bodyshop didn't notice it though.

I've looked online and it seems with the proper polish/glaze I can still do it while the paint is nearly new

jproy12
04-25-2015, 01:14 PM
On a same note, in direct sunlight, there's a paint difference as well compared to my quarter panels.

I did ask them not to touch the quarter panels, simply paint the bumper hoping they could get the paint to match nearly perfectly, but wasn't the case.

Paint is warranty for life, just not sure how it is now, since I asked not to pain the quarter panels

d33p
04-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Looks like they will have to repaint it

jproy12
04-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Looks like they will have to repaint it
Yea, I'm afraid so, not sure how they'll take it

jproy12
04-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Yea, I'm afraid so, not sure how they'll take it
Well it seems like they took it the right way, told me to come in and discuss options, paint and work is warrantied for life, as long as I'm the owner of the car.

swanicyouth
04-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Two points:

1. It can be fixed.

2. You don't have to wait a second longer to polish it. There is no 30 day waiting period to polish paint. Body shop dudes have been hacking paint with rocks in a bottle and a rotary almost as soon as paint is dry for years. Your paint can be de-swirled now.

richy
04-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Two points:

1. It can be fixed.

2. You don't have to wait a second longer to polish it. There is no 30 day waiting period to polish paint. Body shop dudes have been hacking paint with rocks in a bottle and a rotary almost as soon as paint is dry for years. Your paint can be de-swirled now.

Although I completely agree with it being able to be polished right now, I personally would wait if that's the route you want to go. I would look at the paint very closely for other paint defects like runs, dirt in the paint, etc. If you are happy with the condition of the paint other than the swirls, then I would suggest waiting for 30 days after the paint job and then polish it and seal it with whatever product you choose.

jproy12
04-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Although I completely agree with it being able to be polished right now, I personally would wait if that's the route you want to go. I would look at the paint very closely for other paint defects like runs, dirt in the paint, etc. If you are happy with the condition of the paint other than the swirls, then I would suggest waiting for 30 days after the paint job and then polish it and seal it with whatever product you choose.
Thanks for the info, I did take a closer look at the paint, and it really doesn't match, in direct sunlight, the car is Tuxedo Black, lots of metallic flakes in the paint and the bumper has lots of swirls, almost looks like someone tried buffing the paint without any polish compound with a abrasive pad, and baked the swirls into the clear coat, doubt I'll be able to remove them without doing a full on wet-sand on the paint, then buff over again.

I understand there's some variation between plastic and metal panels and it could be a lighter or darker shade, but the bumper seems more of a yellowish shade vs. the car. What I also noticed is that they washed the car a couple times since the repairs and created a sh!t load of swirls on the car, note that the car did not have any swirls, very disappointed, more work for me to get them out.

I guess its the downside of a black car :(