PDA

View Full Version : Detailing on a dime

Pages : [1] 2

rborge
04-24-2015, 10:37 PM
My wife is a big fan of a section of her decorating magazine where the same room is decorated with brand-name products and then with similar, carefully chosen, off brands. Half of the page has the room with the expensive stuff and the other with the inexpensive stuff. Price tags and total price are displayed. Its amazing how much the two rooms look alike and equally amazing is the difference in total cost!

One thing I have observed is that frequently, two products from different companies appear identical, may be made in the same factory, and branded (and priced) differently. I recently purchased 3D Pink Car Soap and it made me wonder if CG Mr Pink was actually the same stuff, at twice the price! If they are not the same, one is copying the other and the difference (at least by my experience) negligible.

So I thought that it would be fascinating to detail 1/2 of a car with name brand products and the other 1/2 with carefully chosen, inexpensive products. A blinded expert could evaluate the results and see if they could tell which half was detailed with inexpensive vs. expensive products. Is anyone aware of threads that explore these issues? If not, is there any interest in performing this type of experiment...Mike would be the ideal judge of such a contest. Detailing academy vehicle?

custmsprty
04-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Experience vs products, experience wins every time.

Also, food for thought, AG is a company that reps many quality products just as I do in my job, as they do, I value my vendors and never play favorites or single one out. So I doubt you'll see that happen on a detailing academy. Have you been to Detail Fest? The vendors are a huge part of the success of DF and they all coexist for the betterment of the industry.

buick_gn
04-24-2015, 10:52 PM
I like this... do it!

J Cole
04-24-2015, 10:53 PM
To be fair 3D/HD is a pretty well known brand (as far as I know).

And Chemical Guys is pretty good at branding products that they themselves don't produce.

custmsprty
04-24-2015, 11:00 PM
To be fair 3D/HD is a pretty well known brand (as far as I know).

And Chemical Guys is pretty good at branding products that they themselves don't produce.

You have unequivocal proof that CG does this? I hope so, otherwise get a lawyer as that could be considered slanderous. Just saying, you're accountable for what you post on the internet and if it costs a company $$$$, well you get the gist.

custmsprty
04-24-2015, 11:04 PM
I like this... do it!

I agree, he should invest in the products and do the side by side comparison and post a thread with pictueres of the process and follow up time frame comparison pictures of how the products hold up over a period of 6 months in his home town environment.

Also how would a BLINDED judge know the difference LOL !!

Sorry bud, not picking on you, really, but ?????

I await your comparison.

And PS I just got the 3D Pink and I have the CG Mr. Pink, I see zero similarities other than they are both vehicle soaps.

J Cole
04-24-2015, 11:41 PM
You have unequivocal proof that CG does this? I hope so, otherwise get a lawyer as that could be considered slanderous. Just saying, you're accountable for what you post on the internet and if it costs a company $$$$, well you get the gist.

Hey man, that's just my opinion :dblthumb2:

Either way, looks like CG's Mr. Pink (http://cdn.karfa.is/files/1210/MrPinkAutoWash.pdf) and 3D's Pink Car Soap (http://www.3dproducts.com/content/msds/202_Pink_Car_Soap.pdf) have different ingredients.

And after further investigation it looks like you can only get CG MSDS papers by going through their customer service and providing proof of purchase?

custmsprty
04-25-2015, 12:05 AM
Hey man, that's just my opinion :dblthumb2:

Either way, looks like CG's Mr. Pink (http://cdn.karfa.is/files/1210/MrPinkAutoWash.pdf) and 3D's Pink Car Soap (http://www.3dproducts.com/content/msds/202_Pink_Car_Soap.pdf) have different ingredients.

And after further investigation it looks like you can only get CG MSDS papers by going through their customer service and providing proof of purchase?

You're accountable for your opinion when you post it publicly. Just trying to save you the headaches and legal bills.

I personally don't get all the hate for CG on this or other forums, they make a lot of good high quality products. Sure they push the marketing side, but it is what it is. There's probably 5 in this picture of mine I've kicked to the curb but I'm keeping those to myself. Pick and choose and show the love for the brands you like and pass on the negatives.

And Silk Shine is still my all time numero uno interior detailing favorite.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/cgproducts_zps767e09fc.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/cgproducts_zps767e09fc.jpg.html)

I recently changed jobs and now work for one of the largest Facility Supplies, maintenance and jan san chemical distributors in the country. Regarding msds sheets, that would be really sketchy if that's the case, your post deserves further investigation.

J Cole
04-25-2015, 12:09 AM
You're accountable for your opinion when you post it publicly. Just trying to save you the headaches and legal bills.

I recently changed jobs and now work for one of the largest Facility Supplies, maintenance and jan san chemical distributors in the country. Regarding msds sheets, that would be really sketchy if that's the case, your post deserves further investigation.

Based on forums posts from CG's forums and AGO forums it looks like you have to provide an invoice # for MSDS sheets. Most of the posts look like they don't have too much of a hassle getting the info - just kind of silly that it's handled that way.

d33p
04-25-2015, 12:10 AM
I agree, he should invest in the products and do the side by side comparison and post a thread with pictueres of the process and follow up time frame comparison pictures of how the products hold up over a period of 6 months in his home town environment.

Also how would a BLINDED judge know the difference LOL !!

Sorry bud, not picking on you, really, but ?????

I await your comparison.

And PS I just got the 3D Pink and I have the CG Mr. Pink, I see zero similarities other than they are both vehicle soaps.

They are clearly both pink in color, you must be blinded!

custmsprty
04-25-2015, 12:17 AM
They are clearly both pink in color, you must be blinded!

It's all pink is what you're saying LOL?

SANTA3013
04-25-2015, 12:31 AM
I never cease to be amazed at what people get perturbed about on this forum.

custmsprty
04-25-2015, 12:31 AM
I never cease to be amazed at what people get perturbed about on this forum.

I never cease to be amazed at some of the things posted LOL!!!

rborge
04-25-2015, 12:30 PM
I apologize if anyone found my comments offensive, they were never meant to be. In retrospect, it appears that the two soaps (both from companies that I respect and have no desire to disparage) are not the same product. I retract that implication.

I still feel, however, that it is naive to believe that there are not products that are made by one company and then branded (as their own) by multiple others. Locally branded B&S pads come to mind. A different example of getting the same product for less is P21S wax. S100 wax seems to be the same product (please don't flame me if someone with more info proves me wrong) but is sold in motorcycle shops and costs less. It's a great value in my opinion.

Finally, even if the two pink soaps are not the same, they appear (to me) to occupy the same competitive space. One costs less than the other. Both come from great companies who make great products. Since there are plenty of persons on this forum who make a living detailing, I thought that it would be useful to share products that allow for excellent results for less money.

trekkeruss
04-25-2015, 01:15 PM
I still feel, however, that it is naive to believe that there are not products that are made by one company and then branded (as their own) by multiple others.

FWIW, this is common in the bicycle industry.