PDA

View Full Version : Question about XMT 1 and 3

klumzypinoy
09-02-2007, 03:55 AM
I have used these polishes 3 different days now, and I am wondering if these polishes are meant to have short working times. I feel like it takes only 1-2 minutes to break them down. Also, the weather has been hot so that could be playing a role. I've been using them with my UDM on speed 6, XMT 1 with CCS white pad, and XMT 3 with CCS orange pad. Am I doing anything wrong? I try not to use too much polish so I put either a bead around the pad or quarter size amount on the middle of the pad.

alban61
09-02-2007, 06:56 AM
I think it's 2 to 3 pea sized drops on the pad for a 2 X 2 area. Bead around the pad is too much.....maybe do that for the first area. Pad will be primed after that, and then just use 2 pea sized drops for the next 2X2 area. I have used XMT3, 2, and 1 and they all seemed to break down pretty fast in like 2 minutes. Like you, I think heat/humidity had something to do with that.
What other polishes to you have? Just curious.

Reddwarf
09-02-2007, 08:08 AM
My experience as well. I used XMT 2 and 3 with a UDM on an orange pad. Both seemed to break down in a few minutes.

Pauly6401
09-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Well, the XMT bottle itself says to use a quarter-sized drop in the middle of the pad, which I have experimented with a bit. I know a lot of people on here use a pea sized drop or two.

Also, if you let the pad get saturated with the polish as you work with it (it will begin to cake) it will spit out a lot more dust and seem to break the polish down more quickly. I solved this somewhat by using the Pinnacle Pad Conditioner in between every third application or so.

The XMT stuff is pretty thick, too, which may lead to it breaking down more rapidly. I had the same experience with XMT 3 and XMT 1. XMT 4 seemed to take at least twice as long to break down.

klumzypinoy
09-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Alban 61 - I should experiment more. What's a pea sized drop, like this size: O ? XMT polishes are the only polishes I have right now. THey work great for me, but I'm going to get Menzerna once I run outta XMT.

Reddwarf - I'm glad I'm not alone :p.

Pauly6401 - My pad did get caked. I need to buy a brush to brush that off between polishing. I noticed that more dust was spitting out as well. After your pad is primed, how much XMT do you put on?

alban61
09-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Once the pad is primed, use about 3 drops. This picture by Nick19 shows 2 pea sized drops.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P10100152.JPG

Pauly6401
09-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Pauly6401 - My pad did get caked. I need to buy a brush to brush that off between polishing. I noticed that more dust was spitting out as well. After your pad is primed, how much XMT do you put on?

I never used a brush to clean mine - just the XMT Pad Cleaner and some warm water, and my hands. The cleaner makes a HUGE difference, just don't breathe in the fumes! A brush would help as you rinsed it, though I never tried to clean the pad without water.

I was using a quarter-sized amount (with XMT 4), like what they use in the Intermediate Swirl Removal video. However, we were fixing the hood of a truck and there was so much marring that it was sucking up all the polish as we spread it out. Since then, I've used XMT 3 and XMT 1 and reduced the amount to about a nickel size in the center of the pad, but I'm by no means a super-experienced professional. I think if you alternate where you put the polish each time it will reduce caking in the center.

Also, with a pea sized amount I don't see how you could do a 2 foot by 2 foot square, maybe half of that? The XMT stuff is pretty thick and doesn't spread out a ton without the machine spinning.

alban61
09-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I was using a quarter-sized amount (with XMT 4), like what they use in the Intermediate Swirl Removal video. However, we were fixing the hood of a truck and there was so much marring that it was sucking up all the polish as we spread it out. Since then, I've used XMT 3 and XMT 1 and reduced the amount to about a nickel size in the center of the pad, but I'm by no means a super-experienced professional. I think if you alternate where you put the polish each time it will reduce caking in the center.

Also, with a pea sized amount I don't see how you could do a 2 foot by 2 foot square, maybe half of that? The XMT stuff is pretty thick and doesn't spread out a ton without the machine spinning. You're right, Paul. I too started with a ring around the pad. Once that was done, and the pad was primed, I just added 3 drops on it which pretty much covered a 2X2 area. Thinking about it, I guess that a nickel-sized amount is about 3 pea-sized drops. LOL
You're right about alternating where you put the polish. Al-53 also suggested that. I too was experiencing build-up right in the center of the pad. I used the pad brush to clean it up. But after awhile, that won't help either. So I switch pads.
I'm no pro. I've only done mine twice, my son's, and my sister-in-law's. I'm still picking up tips and applying it.

klumzypinoy
09-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Uh oh seems like I need to buy more pads someday. I'll try alternating where I put the polish on. Maybe I'll put a bead around the pad on the first panel, n then put drops on random places on the next panels. Thanks for the info everyone :D