PDA

View Full Version : Winter clean up

jimim
04-24-2015, 06:06 AM
Hi guys. I have a pearl white Tahoe.

Last year before winter I sealed with deep gloss sealant and then went with two layers of fusion over that. Best winter I ever had and it was one of the worse for our area.

I already clayed the rough stuff. It went in the shop to fix the bumper cause of a slight ding. So today I'm picking it up.

My plan today was wash and then polish with woldgang. Non machine. I was then going to seal again.

My question. Can I wax today or do I have to really wait till tomorrow. Does it really matter?

Any other suggestions? Is thier a better tech I should be using. I'm learning over the years. This has been my best results so far.

Thanks. I know I need to learn to use a machine but for now is thier a better hand method?

Don M
04-24-2015, 06:56 AM
I personally would wax it the same day you wash it. If you wait to the next day, that's a 24 hour window where dust and airborne debris can land on the car, which for me would require a QD wipe down at the minimum or even a full wash again. Just more work.

Why do you think there is something wrong with your hand method? How is it that you are doing it?

jimim
04-24-2015, 10:45 AM
I always thought that u had to wait 8 or more hours after u deal with the Wolfgang sealant 3.0.

I hear u about the 24 hrs later. That's why I didn't want to wait.

I know a lot of u guys here use machines. I just haven't taken the time to learn one cause I don't want to ruin my new truck. I have thought about experimenting on my other truck since its 8 yrs old now.

So am I good waxing today bs waiting the 8 hrs for the sealer to do t's thing or is that necessary?

Don M
04-24-2015, 11:51 AM
I always thought that u had to wait 8 or more hours after u deal with the Wolfgang sealant 3.0.

I hear u about the 24 hrs later. That's why I didn't want to wait.

I know a lot of u guys here use machines. I just haven't taken the time to learn one cause I don't want to ruin my new truck. I have thought about experimenting on my other truck since its 8 yrs old now.

So am I good waxing today bs waiting the 8 hrs for the sealer to do t's thing or is that necessary?

I must not have caught that part of your post, I would wait 24 hours before applying a wax to a sealant. I would also lose the fear of the machine, with a buffer like a Porter Cable or similar machine about the only way to hurt the car/paint is to use the machine like a hammer and beat it down on the car.

jimim
04-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Ok thanks man. I'm done for the day. The truck goes back to Chevy Monday cause they deff caught a whole lotta cramp under the clear coat or in it so I didn't touch that today. Sucks. They better not mess up my seal job. I hope they pull the bumper again vs fixing it on the truck.

The winter was tough here this year but like I said the sealant deff helped I feel. It cleaned up nice. A few dings in the chrome grill but not noti able from normal viewing.

wdmaccord
04-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Ok thanks man. I'm done for the day. The truck goes back to Chevy Monday cause they deff caught a whole lotta cramp under the clear coat or in it so I didn't touch that today. Sucks. They better not mess up my seal job. I hope they pull the bumper again vs fixing it on the truck.

The winter was tough here this year but like I said the sealant deff helped I feel. It cleaned up nice. A few dings in the chrome grill but not noti able from normal viewing.

Sounds like the bumper has been repainted (and may be repainted again)? If so, I would wait 30 days to put a sealant on that portion (ask the shop what the complete cure time is).

jimim
04-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Sounds like the bumper has been repainted (and may be repainted again)? If so, I would wait 30 days to put a sealant on that portion (ask the shop what the complete cure time is).

The bumper was nicted by a mother in a minivan at dance class for my daughter. 4 mths only having the truck. So I waited till now to get it fixed. They pulled the bumper and fixed the area painted, pearled, and then clearcoated the whole bumper I was told by Chevy. They said only the damaged area was painted. It goes back in Monday morning to get redone. It won't leavexthe shop till I totally inspect the whole thing his time and run my hands over the whole bumper. It's like sandpaper right now. I'm pissed. I wanted this all over so I can get the truck set for summer.

I did my coat of fusion this am. So all I have to do is the bumper a few weeks after it get repaired again.