PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Hyper Dressing Question

Pages : [1] 2

TheAverageMan
04-23-2015, 10:27 PM
When undiluted, is it as thick as a gel?

Right now I have Endurance tire gel from Meguiars. Stuff smells like grape juce heaven BTW.

Was deciding between
D170 Megs Hyper Dressing 1 Gallon
Optimum Optibond Tire Gel 1 Gallon
D163 Megs Tire Trim Gel 32 oz

Im leaning on Hyper dressing IF its got a gel consistency undiluted.
Im leaning away from D163 cause it only goes up to 32ozs.
Optibond is up in the air as well.

Can anyone with any of these comment on ther scents? Is D163 Grape heaven?

builthatch
04-23-2015, 10:31 PM
nope. it's like a very VERY smooth smoothie. not a gel at all. i'd say undiluted, it's identical in consistency to Opti-Bond.

TheAverageMan
04-23-2015, 10:35 PM
So D170 and Optibond gel have very similar smoothie consistency. Coool. Can you comment on their smells?

Know if 163 is thicker than either of them?

The Guz
04-23-2015, 10:45 PM
D163 is a gel. There's a thread on here somewhere. It actually lasts awhile. I still have quite a bit left.

builthatch
04-23-2015, 10:48 PM
So D170 and Optibond gel have very similar smoothie consistency. Coool. Can you comment on their smells?

Know if 163 is thicker than either of them?

i want to qualify my last statement - my bottle of Opti-Bond is very old. i don't use it, so...thinking back, i think it's thicker than my current bottle. it's probably somewhat more of a gel than i described. and it has no smell.

my bottle of Hyper Dressing is old too, it's lasted a while because i dilute when i fill the 32 oz spray bottle, however, if i recall, it's always been this smoothie sort of consistency. it smells like artificial grape flavor...smell. not terribly strong.

i haven't used 163. from what i've seen of it, it def appears to be thicker than straight HD.

Evan.J
04-23-2015, 11:09 PM
I have used all of them.....

I would rank them in this order:

Opti-bond as it seems to last the longest. 2 application will give you the glossy look if you so desire.

Meguiars Tire and trim Gel. Thickest consistancy out of all of them. Need two good applications for that medium gloss. One application will give you a nice matte/satin look.

Hyperdressing is a smooth constancy. You won't get a long durability with this one. It's a wheel well dressing for me. I haven't tried it straight but I mix on 4:1 ratio.

SameGuy
04-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Hyper Dressing is also a great (cheap) engine dressing, too. Maybe not Sonus Motor Kote good, but still very good. And on wheel well liners it's truly SOWA.

VISITOR
04-24-2015, 12:21 AM
use to use hyper dressing, opti-bond and a few other water based dressings until I tried PERL and have never looked back...

PA DETAILER
04-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Hyper Dressing is also a great (cheap) engine dressing, too. Maybe not Sonus Motor Kote good, but still very good. And on wheel well liners it's truly SOWA.
:iagree:

VP Mark
04-24-2015, 08:08 AM
I primarily use Hyper Dressing. Can be used for engines, wheel wells, and tires. I primarily use it 1:1. Has good durability unless it gets wet.

Setec Astronomy
04-24-2015, 08:24 AM
use to use hyper dressing, opti-bond and a few other water based dressings until I tried PERL and have never looked back...

Isn't Perl a water based dressing also? It's got the same main ingredient as Hyper Dressing (they both show it as 40-70%, so who knows what the actual is). The difference seems to be that Perl has a small amount of trade secret silane in it, which I'm guessing is what makes the world of difference between the two.

I have a little sample bottle I bought I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

SameGuy
04-24-2015, 08:38 AM
The main difference is price! I like PERL, but there's no way I'd be spraying wheel wells liberally with it and walking away. At that price I dab it on a rag and do rubber window seals and other smooth trim with it, not much else.

frankprozzoly
04-24-2015, 09:15 AM

I've used both on the engine bay. I don't like motor kote. It dried spotted. Hyper dressing dries uniformly except for a little build-up in a corner.

dcjredline
04-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Ive not used Optibond or PERL.

Between the Meguiar's products
Tires & Trim only - Go for the T&T gel no question
Tires, wheel wells, interior dressing, engines - Use the Hyper Dressing you will be very happy.

DasBurninator
04-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Hyper dressing is my go to for engines and wheel wells. I like it at 4:1

http://i.imgur.com/rfz0VJYl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yE1Wi8Gl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MgVztzgl.jpg