PDA

View Full Version : Waterless wash tips?

Stephan@FamouslyHot
04-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Hey gang

Was trying out the waterless wash method again and can't say that I am sold on it yet.

I was using the Pinnacle wash with wax, with a regular spray nozzle from Autogeek, with the blue and grey dual sided waterless wash microfibers.

The technique I was using was spraying down the panel, and then using the swipe technique , I believe from Mr. Stoops, where after each swipe, you adjust the towel slightly to a clean portion. After each swipe, I did not need to use a different towel to 'dry' the section, as the towel absorbed the liquid and dirt.

Maybe my car had a bit too much dirt on it, but it worked fairly well. Only problem I was running into was the overspray from working on another section would leave small spritz of dried product onto areas I just cleaned.

I used D114 @ 1/128 for the windows but used a spray bottle with the Kwazaar sprayer, and wow that sprayer rocks compared to the white sprayer.

I think the concern that I have is, I have a world rally blue Subaru, and gosh, that paint is so soft it gets slight scratches just looking at it. So the waterless wash makes me a smidge nervous to use, I have had great luck with keeping scratches to a minimum with the 2 bucket rinseless method, and best results with a hose.

Does anyone have any tips on how to control overspray spots?
How do you clean very dirty areas like mud flaps or wheels/bumpers? Just spray the heck out of it?
How much spray is actually needed? Enough to soak the section that you are working on?

After doing a waterless for two or three washes, the 32oz. sprayer is almost empty. Does anyone have any tips or what do you all use to keep a larger mixed batch, so that when you run out in the sprayer, it's a quick re fill, instead of busting out the measuring cups again so frequently?

Thank you
Stephan

builthatch
04-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Hey gang

Was trying out the waterless wash method again and can't say that I am sold on it yet.

I was using the Pinnacle wash with wax, with a regular spray nozzle from Autogeek, with the blue and grey dual sided waterless wash microfibers.

The technique I was using was spraying down the panel, and then using the swipe technique , I believe from Mr. Stoops, where after each swipe, you adjust the towel slightly to a clean portion. After each swipe, I did not need to use a different towel to 'dry' the section, as the towel absorbed the liquid and dirt.

Maybe my car had a bit too much dirt on it, but it worked fairly well. Only problem I was running into was the overspray from working on another section would leave small spritz of dried product onto areas I just cleaned.

I used D114 @ 1/128 for the windows but used a spray bottle with the Kwazaar sprayer, and wow that sprayer rocks compared to the white sprayer.

I think the concern that I have is, I have a world rally blue Subaru, and gosh, that paint is so soft it gets slight scratches just looking at it. So the waterless wash makes me a smidge nervous to use, I have had great luck with keeping scratches to a minimum with the 2 bucket rinseless method, and best results with a hose.

Does anyone have any tips on how to control overspray spots?
How do you clean very dirty areas like mud flaps or wheels/bumpers? Just spray the heck out of it?
How much spray is actually needed? Enough to soak the section that you are working on?

After doing a waterless for two or three washes, the 32oz. sprayer is almost empty. Does anyone have any tips or what do you all use to keep a larger mixed batch, so that when you run out in the sprayer, it's a quick re fill, instead of busting out the measuring cups again so frequently?

Thank you
Stephan

about the larger batch question, i keep pre-mixed opti-clean in left over optimum gallon jugs. i usually have two loaded. you can use left over gallon distilled water containers or anything that is robust enough to store the pre-mix you are using. just make sure whatever you use won't contaminate your mixture because of residual chemicals from whatever was in the bottle before that.

as far as how to clean dirtier areas...welp, sometimes waterless just isn't robust enough to handle whatever area (just like sometimes rinseless is not appropriate for an area because it's just too dirty). it's so easy to do a PER LABEL rinseless wash that you might just have to do that for certain areas. i say "per label" because, for instance, OPT's No Rinse said nothing about two buckets, extra this, that, etc. a lot of info out there is from forum paranoia. not all of it, but i'm just saying - if you are dealing with areas of a car that seem to dirty to do a certain technique, it probably is. and in this case, waterless is probably not quite right for those areas. so, do a small version of rinseless and handle it accordingly, you can even pre-treat with your waterless if you want and then do the rinseless in those areas.

for the overspray...if an area is clean and simply got some overspray from cleaning nearby areas, i'd saturate a folded MF with instant detailer or waterless and wipe that area then buff lightly with a dry side.

jmsc
04-23-2015, 05:11 PM
I NEVER-EVER (last 3 years) do a rinseless/waterless unless I can perform a powerwash first. After a PW I can now do either a RW or a WW in my indoor garage.

trekkeruss
04-23-2015, 06:53 PM
I NEVER-EVER (last 3 years) do a rinseless/waterless unless I can perform a powerwash first. After a PW I can now do either a RW or a WW in my indoor garage.

If one can do a powerwash, why bother with a rinseless/waterless wash at all? Anyway, some people don't have access to a hose, let alone a powerwasher. I know here where I live, there are virtually no self-wash places either.

TheAverageMan
04-23-2015, 08:13 PM
I got a new car, so Im a newb, but I do waterless. Got a bunch of tips from here, and some from my two wash experiences.

I use D114 in a 52 oz low pressure hand pump bottle that you can get at Home Depot garden area for 7 dollars.

I also got a 12 dollar Gorrila step stool there which makes washing the top of my car easier.

I got a 1 gallon distilled water jug from walmart for a dollar. I used a 50cc syringe to mix my fluids. I use 1:128 for my first wash,then 1:192 for the rest, depends on dirt level.

Use a syringe to suck out 0.75oz from the allon, spray it at a plant. Then suck up 0.75oz from the D114 jug and spray into the gallon of water. Use that to refill your sprayer.

I also wash at like 6 PM at night, inside my closed garage. I spray down the whole roof of the car and wipe down my mental 4 quarters of the roof. I then work on the back of the car and the front. I do it that way to lessen the overapray. Cause top to bottom gets annoying. For example you spray half the roof, wipe down, go to the other side, spray and it oversprays onto the side you just wiped.

spence
04-23-2015, 10:07 PM
spray in the middle of the panel to avoid spraying the adjacent panels you just washed. spray the mf towel you are using to wipe the panel. Wipe the panel you are cleaning with the wet mf towel. Use a separate mf towel to dry and buff the panel along with any overspray areas.