PDA

View Full Version : Daily driver maintenance routine essentials

spedster
04-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Thought I would say hello and ask for some advice while I continue my research on these forums.

I am looking for some advice for maintenance of my DD. I am looking for a minimum product list to keep my car clean and looking the best I can. I bought a used black 2010 mazda3 last fall and its my first car so I want to take good care of it.

I live in the northeast to we had a brutal winter last year. The car has quite a few scratches, previous bad paint cover ups that would probably be expensive for me to fix it all and pointless since its my dd and bound to get more scratches. I do want to take care of it the best I can. I've washed cars before but now realize I've been doing it incorrectly after reading the forums.

I know I need at least two buckets with grit guards, and the Duragloss #901 shampoo seems to be a good one but besides that I'm pretty lost as far as products for wheels and what types of brushes and towels I really need (should I get a foam gun?). I probably won't get into getting the mechanical polishers at this time.

Looking for advice on products to use on a weekly to bimonthly maintenance wash and then what else I should be doing on a less frequent basis.

North26
04-23-2015, 09:27 AM
I would look into investing in bulk MF towels. I purchased like 48 from Amazon for like $20 and I use them for everything except paint on paint.

Then buy some quality MF towels for paint. Maybe a dozen or so. Something affordable. But safe.

A lot of members here use $$$ boars hair brushes on the wheels. I use an oil based paint brush. 2" works well and much cheaper. Also a stiff brush for the tires.

Jaretr1
04-23-2015, 09:39 AM
For the wheels: WHEEL WOOLIES!

Kamakaz1961
04-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Agreed!!!

Mask
04-23-2015, 09:57 AM
For DD I recommend:
Pressure washer
DG 902 / Meguiars hyper wash
Optional: Foam gun
2BM
Meguiars D156 (weekly after wash)
Meguiars D101 (dirty interior, tires)
Meguiars QID (interior maintain)
Popular choice for light dirt: Meguiars D114/D115

Microfiber: Meguiars supreme shine
Edgeless or cobra

Regards :D

dcjredline
04-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Unless you are obsessed like most of us here (and I have to say I am pretty much over it) do not get a foam cannon/gun. I like the above suggestion about products but he didnt hit on wheels. If you have a good coat of wax/sealant on your wheels the APC (101) should do fine. If you want a good wheel/tire cleaner I would suggest the Meguiar's Non-acid wheel and tire from their Detailer line as the other suggested products are! Get a gallon of each of those and the corresponding 32oz bottle and you should be good to go!

CDot
04-23-2015, 11:42 AM
For DD I recommend:
Pressure washer
DG 902 / Meguiars hyper wash
Optional: Foam gun
2BM
Meguiars D156 (weekly after wash)
Meguiars D101 (dirty interior, tires)
Meguiars QID (interior maintain)
Popular choice for light dirt: Meguiars D114/D115

Microfiber: Meguiars supreme shine
Edgeless or cobra

Regards :D

^^^Good list, although the pressure washer/foam gun is not mandatory if you're a regular guy.

I would add:

-2-3 good microfiber chenille mitts (2 for paint and 1 for wheels). A lot of people like this one (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-microfiber-wash-mitt.html).
-Adding a good non-spray LSP to the list--I highly recommend Collinite #845.
-Add clay or Nanoskin Sponge w/good clay lube. Mother's has a regular clay kit you can get locally or you could get the Nanoskin Sponge + Glide.
-An EZ-Detail brush or Daytona Speed brush for wheels.
-Mothers All Wheel & Tire for wheels/tires or Meg's DUB Wheel Cleaner for wheels + Zep 505 for tires.