PDA

View Full Version : 1z deep plastic cleaner issue on door panel.

taxi_dub
04-23-2015, 08:42 AM
So I was doing an interior detail on my friends Volvo s60r and I must say 1z deep plastic cleaner worked amazing on the leather seats. So I was using it on the dash and door panels and I noticed a weird look, looks like some type of coating was peeling off. I had no issues any where else, just the rear door panels. My process was spay on the panel and use a hogs hair brush and agitate it for 30 seconds then wipe off. Anybody have any info one what could be happening ?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/23/36870ccd538c7360e61d5daf61ab9c7d.jpg

Here is how great 1z deep plastic cleaner worked on the leather seats.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/23/3a4ef275c77d8afa85a304427ec54a9e.jpg

Setec Astronomy
04-23-2015, 09:02 AM
So was the part on the left the way it looked after, or the part on the right? The right looks good, the left doesn't.

If it's a coating that you've partially removed, it's too late now, keep going until it looks like on the right.

Sizzle Chest
04-23-2015, 09:29 AM
I have had the same issue. That is the coating on the leather/plastic that is being removed. You are going to have to just keep going and remove it or you will see the line between the two areas. It will peel off and is rubbery/plastic. It'll be a real PIA.

I had heard, at least in my situation (an older Mercedes) that the area I was working on/using 1z on had been previously repaired/re-dyed or something.

Could be something similar with you.

My lesson learned: ALWAYS do a test spot in an inconspicuous area first. Wish I did before my 'lesson learned'.

Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.

Setec Astronomy
04-23-2015, 09:39 AM
So what's the lesson here, besides test spot? That this 1Z product isn't the best choice? I've never used it only 1Z products I've used are Gummi Pflege and Klima Clean (which are both great).

Pureshine
04-23-2015, 09:44 AM
I've been only using 1z deep plastic on interiors for years and never a problem ever. The one thing never let it dwell and older cars need to careful with what ever you use.

taxi_dub
04-23-2015, 10:14 AM
I have had the same issue. That is the coating on the leather/plastic that is being removed. You are going to have to just keep going and remove it or you will see the line between the two areas. It will peel off and is rubbery/plastic. It'll be a real PIA.

I had heard, at least in my situation (an older Mercedes) that the area I was working on/using 1z on had been previously repaired/re-dyed or something.

Could be something similar with you.

My lesson learned: ALWAYS do a test spot in an inconspicuous area first. Wish I did before my 'lesson learned'.

Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.

It is a pita to remove that coating. Didn't have this issue on the other panels.

taxi_dub
04-23-2015, 10:20 AM
I've been only using 1z deep plastic on interiors for years and never a problem ever. The one thing never let it dwell and older cars need to careful with what ever you use.

I love this product it's amazing, this was my only time I had this little issue. Btw a while ago you told me about the tuf shine scrub sponge, I used them on the leather seats because normal brush agitation wasn't enough. Oh man did the scrub sponge work amazing, those seats needed that little extra scrub. .

tenblade2001
04-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Has anyone used it on red leather seats?

Pureshine
04-23-2015, 10:57 AM
I love this product it's amazing, this was my only time I had this little issue. Btw a while ago you told me about the tuf shine scrub sponge, I used them on the leather seats because normal brush agitation wasn't enough. Oh man did the scrub sponge work amazing, those seats needed that little extra scrub. .
Ya I love those scrub sponge!

Has anyone used it on red leather seats?
I've used on almost ever color never a problem. You should always test it first.

SYMAWD
04-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Maybe the product name is fooling me, but it doesn't seem like using it is the least aggressive method first.

Sizzle Chest
04-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Setec: that's what my lesson was. Never really thought about doing it on interior plastics before. Now I know.

I have heard, and now read Pureshine, of people using it with great results. I just had an experience similar to Taxi with using it.

**again, it could very well have been my interior pieces that had been 'repaired' prior to me using this product.

taxi_dub
07-18-2015, 11:36 PM
I recent did the same car again because it's a friends car. I used Meg's interior quick detailer (I love this stuff, cheap and it's awesome) and it happened with that too and that's not aggressive stuff. From what I was told you can't prevent that from happening, it's just old plastic.

expdetailing
07-19-2015, 12:08 AM
Maybe you could restore, or even the finish with a sealant like Wolfgang interior sealant.

Paul A.
07-19-2015, 07:51 AM
From the image you posted it looks like the top right is clean (black section). Is that where you used this product? To me it looks good and the remaining areas still have some crud to be cleaned off. Forgive me if i am confused here. If that clean section is not the section affected, yes, i would be concerned with the results. Again, please forgive me if i'm misunderstanding. Looks great on the leather seats!