PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer Questions

spence
04-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Do pressure washers come with filters to prevent small particles in the water from being blasted onto the paint? Has anybody used the Karcher Follow Me Pressure Washer ?

VISITOR
04-20-2015, 12:22 AM
on my electric pressure washer there's a screen for that very reason where you connect the hose...

oldmodman
04-20-2015, 02:41 AM
Some do, some don't.

I made a filter that screws into the hose end and then into the hose fitting on the washer.

It is a screen filter in a glass tube with brass fittings on both ends. I think it only cost $12.00 and for that price is cheap insurance. it doesn't impede the water flow at all.

CaveRacing
04-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Some do, some don't.

I made a filter that screws into the hose end and then into the hose fitting on the washer.

It is a screen filter in a glass tube with brass fittings on both ends. I think it only cost $12.00 and for that price is cheap insurance. it doesn't impede the water flow at all.

This is a great idea. I'm going to find one of these. Do I have to make it or can you just buy one at HD/Lowes?

I typically, run water through the hose before connecting it to the PW. Then I run water through the PW without a gun attached. Then I run water through the gun, and finally I attach the spray tip and run water through that. Lastly, I turn on the PW, and I'm good to go. The whole process takes merely a minute. This makes sure I get any dirt or whatever the heck out of the flow before starting on the vehicle.

So far, so good.

trekkeruss
04-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Not that it's a bad idea to have a filter, but it seems to me all one has to do is run the water for a minute to remove any sediment that may be in the hose. After that there shouldn't be anything in the water.

SameGuy
04-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Have you ever pulled the screens off your kitchen or bathroom faucets?

rlmccarty2000
04-20-2015, 11:54 AM
And don't forget to clean the screens frequently or you could harm the pressure washer.

AndyL
04-21-2015, 11:42 AM
This is a great idea. I'm going to find one of these. Do I have to make it or can you just buy one at HD/Lowes?

I typically, run water through the hose before connecting it to the PW. Then I run water through the PW without a gun attached. Then I run water through the gun, and finally I attach the spray tip and run water through that. Lastly, I turn on the PW, and I'm good to go. The whole process takes merely a minute. This makes sure I get any dirt or whatever the heck out of the flow before starting on the vehicle.

So far, so good.

I am using the same process to start my car wash with pressure washer. And I think it also helps prolonging the pump ( my original intention) although from my experiences, pressure washers failed in other places before the pump gets busted.

wdmaccord
04-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Have you ever pulled the screens off your kitchen or bathroom faucets?

Very good point here!

tuscarora dave
04-22-2015, 07:53 AM
Any hardware store should have water filters with garden hose threads on each end. You can get different filtering values as well, such as 10 micron, 5 micron, 1 micron etc. It may benefit to have a short section of hose like a washing machine hose to put on your pressure washer, then the filter at the other end, and lastly the garden hose will screw onto the filter's inlet. This way the filter isn't screwed directly to the pressure washer or the hose bib, eliminating the possibility of filter or pipe breakage.

aim4squirrels
04-22-2015, 09:11 AM
And don't forget to clean the screens frequently or you could harm the pressure washer.

Clean the screen... Where have I heard that before?