PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Ford Focus Yellow Single stage?

DeansDetailing
04-19-2015, 08:55 PM
A friend has a 2003 Ford Focus with moderate oxidation. The car is 1.5hrs away so I can't do a test to see what kind of paint it is.

Attached are some examples of the car just for visual reference...

Anyone know off hand if it's clear coat or single stage paint?

Thanks in advance!

ihaveacamaro
04-19-2015, 09:05 PM
You can just ask whoever's car it is to take a rag and some polish and apply it to the car. If there's paint transfer to the rag, it's single stage. If not, then no.

However, most cars, even the ones from early 2000s are clearcoated.

DeansDetailing
04-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Seems Toyota Super White and Honda San Marino Red plus Tafetta White are single stage. Looking at various threads and a TSB for 2005 Hondas.

ihaveacamaro
04-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Seems Toyota Super White and Honda San Marino Red plus Tafetta White are single stage. Looking at various threads and a TSB for 2005 Hondas.

I think toyota has been doing single stage for their white for a looong time. I don't know if they have even switched to a bc/cc in 2015 models for white.

Most cars are clearcoated, but there are exceptions.

70fastback
04-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Look for this label: How to Find the Paint Color Code on Ford Vehicles: 3 Steps (http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-Paint-Color-Code-on-Ford-Vehicles).

Once you find the paint code use this chart.
Looks like the only yellow offered in 2003 is clear coat...unless someone repainted with single stage...Ihaveacamaro's advice would determine if it was...

oldmodman
04-20-2015, 02:42 AM
NO.
The color is called Zinc Yellow and is two stage. It's code is B-3.

DeansDetailing
04-20-2015, 06:14 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the help, guys. I figured it was clear coat, but with some exceptions out there, I was curious.

The owner is female and has literally no car products. It hasn't been waxed in probably 10yrs. Surprisingly, I don't recall rust spots on it but didn't inspect it too closely the last time I saw it. Should get solid results from Uber Compound and LC orange pad.