PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Diamond Coating

medicscott
04-19-2015, 06:14 PM
My 1st time going through the coating"process"
12 hours later, and the results speak for themselves. I can't compare as I have never used a paint coating before, but it's super simple (once you get to actually applying it!) This detailing thing is addictive...You guys really think this will last 2 or 3 years like they say? Anyone have long term experience they can share?

My process:

1. Wash
2. IronX
3. Clay
4. Pinnacle swirl remover
5. Pinnacle Black Label Surface Polish
6. CarPro Eraser
7. Pinnacle Diamond Surface Coating

Couldn't get pictures on here because the files were too big, so click this link to view.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6zurr2zm5ip46id/AABBJhex-m4PlAnSyidxnKLTa?dl=0

kevincwelch
04-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Looks great, but you shouldn't have to use CarPro Eraser after using PBL SCP. I believe the system is designed to go right from SCP to the coating.

Others have had good luck with PBL; I did not. I had a review on here before, but because the thread went wild with a lot of here and there discussion, it was locked. I didn't get six months out of it. Could have been the Chicago winter.

On the other hand, I did like the glass coating. It worked well for about 9 months through one of the winters here.

medicscott
04-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Being in Boston my weather is similar to Chicago. Let's see how long it lasts on my car. If I get a year I'm quite happy.

DaveT435
04-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Looks great, but you shouldn't have to use CarPro Eraser after using PBL SCP. I believe the system is designed to go right from SCP to the coating.

Others have had good luck with PBL; I did not. I had a review on here before, but because the thread went wild with a lot of here and there discussion, it was locked. I didn't get six months out of it. Could have been the Chicago winter.

On the other hand, I did like the glass coating. It worked well for about 9 months through one of the winters here.

I didn't have good luck with it either. I didn't do a wipe down with eraser, panel wipe, or IPA after the Pinnacle paint cleanser and I think that may have been the problem.

kevincwelch
04-19-2015, 08:23 PM
I didn't have good luck with it either. I didn't do a wipe down with eraser, panel wipe, or IPA after the Pinnacle paint cleanser and I think that may have been the problem.

:dunno:

In my review, I did a 4 quadrant test. The hood was polished, and then I divided it up into 4 quadrants and prepped with 17% IPA, Gtechniq Panel Wipe, Eraser and SCP (each in a separate quadrant). No quadrant did better than the other, and none of them lasted more than 6 months.

Munich77
04-19-2015, 08:35 PM
It worked fine on my car and my wife's car this winter. Not sure what the long term reliability will be.

glfnaz
04-20-2015, 10:26 AM
I just used it on 2 different cars this month. Both times with the Surface Coating flavor. Both look great. One was a metallic silver accord. My daily driver with lots of mileage on it. It was simple to do. Polished with hyper polish, did IPA wipe, then coated.

Did the same with a Scion XB with very dark blue paint. Actually looks black until you are in the bright sun then has a blue cast to it. I had problems with this one. It was a bit warmer, maybe 80*and a slight breeze. I was in the garage with the door open, but it was shady. My problem was I could not knock down the high spots. The product was flashing real fast which made me put it on a bit heavy probably. But after the IPA wipe, and the slight breeze, the stuff was flashing like "right now" and the lake county applicator would grab like it was dry. I tried buffing with a microfiber as I did each panel, but I couldn't get it to eliminate the high spots. 24 hours later they were still there, and I ended up topping it with collonite 845. That really helped eliminate most high spots. Not sure if that was the correct decision, but the web site says you can top it with wax after 24 hours.
I have no idea how long it will last. Both cars are daily drivers and one is going to the beach for the summer with my son. I was simply after protection.

Justin at Final Inspection
04-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Here is a write up I just did a few weeks ago on a customers car using the PBL coating line. Very easy to use and no high spots. No need for Eraser wipedown. I spoke with Nick about this and he strongly advised against it. It doesn't play well with the PBL coatings.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/90245-03-azure-blue-mach-1-rotary-correction-pbl-coatings.html

Here is my personal car with the PBL coatings.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/89247-love-pinnacle-black-label-coating.html

rlmccarty2000
04-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Why doesn't PBL "play well" with Eraser? Does that include other IPA type products too? I usually use an IPA before PBL paint cleaner with no apparent problems. What should be used instead of an IPA type product?

Justin at Final Inspection
04-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Use the PBL surface cleansing polish. Has something to do with effecting the bonding. Just cause its good for one coating doesn't mean its good for another. Just passing along what I was told

silverfox
04-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Rule of thumb...stay within the system for optimum performance. Go outside the system and you're likely going to compromise something even without being aware.