PDA

View Full Version : Process for New Tesla

skyace888
04-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

Just purchased a new Tesla and trying to figure out the best initial detail process. I understand that the paint is fairly soft and I purchased CQuartz to protect it. Upon initial inspection, the paint appears to be in fairly good condition from the dealer with only a few minor holograms and virtually no swirls.

Here is what I came up with.

- Clean wheels and tires with Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Meguiars APC for wheel wells.

- Foam pre-soak entire car with cannon and DP Xtreme

- Wash with 2 bucks

- De-ionized final rinse with CR Spotless

- IronX Paint and Wheels. De-ionized rinse for each section

- Clay Paint, windows and wheels with Meguiars clay

- M205 with DA on Meguiars foam finishing pad

- Cquartz

Appreciate any feedback (especially from those that have worked on Teslas before).

Ebg18t
04-19-2015, 11:29 AM
As an alternative to 205, take a look at the CarPro Reflect. I found Reflect to work quite well as a final polishing step before CQuartz. Then just wipe with CarPro Eraser then apply CQuartz.

skyace888
04-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

So how is CarPro Reflect different from M205? Can it also be applied by DA with a foam finishing pad?

I forgot to mention but I do have CarPro Eraser and plan to use it before applying CQuartz to prep.

Evan.J
04-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Here is my Tesla write up

Premier Auto Detailing by Evan: Tesla Model S polished and Opti-Coated (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/74556-premier-auto-detailing-evan-2014-tesla-model-s-polished-opti-coated.html)

Just to note that Tesla paint is on the softer side.

kevincwelch
04-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Agree with Evan.

Looking forward to seeing your results. I've been detailing my tesla since I got it back in 2/2013 so I can give you some recs on what works well for me and my car. PM if you want.

Ebg18t
04-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

So how is CarPro Reflect different from M205? Can it also be applied by DA with a foam finishing pad?

I forgot to mention but I do have CarPro Eraser and plan to use it before applying CQuartz to prep.

It could be the humidity where I live. But I found Reflect a little easier to work with. Use it just like M205. I will say that M205 was a tad more agressive though. Reflect appeared to me to offer a slightly better finish; deeper-brighter (my opinion). I was using Menzerna SF4000 & M205 before, but now using Reflect. It's just an alternative to M205; M205 is a solid finisher.

kevincwelch
04-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Don't forget Sonax Perfect Finish.

The Menzerna FG400/SF4000 combo has worked well on my Tesla. I've used m105/205 as well, and despite the dusting, it produced great results.

I'm going to give the Rupes UHS system a try this summer.