PDA

View Full Version : Rattling sound in 7424

mcate
04-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Disappointed in my slightly more than 1 yr old PC7424XP. There's an intermittent bad rattling sound coming from it. It acts like something is broken in the gears & occasionally gets lodged in the gears. It seems to jam the machine, causing it to hesitate. I can wiggle or shake it, & sometimes it will stop rattling. (Oh, the compression washer IS in place) I took it apart as far as I can, but can't seem to get into the area where I think the sound is coming from. I've never dropped it, & rarely ran it over speed 5. My 10 yr old PC7336 is still going strong, but needs the little speed adjuster. I think both machines use the same speed adjuster, so unless someone has a suggestion on this rattle, I'm probably going to swap the speed adjusters, & junk the 7424.

mcate
04-23-2015, 11:16 AM
I emailed Porter Cable & they told me the machine has a 3 yr warranty. They gave me the address of the local repair shop here in Indy & said they'd take care of it. Good news!

iamahockeynut
05-10-2015, 11:58 AM
I had a similar noise on my 7424xp I torn it down found the screw that goes into the gear assembly sheered off! This has been dropped a few times so that did not help!

mcate
05-12-2015, 05:50 PM
The repair shop replaced the motor free of charge. Made me quite happy!

iamahockeynut
05-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Good deal

dlc95
05-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Good to hear! Glad it got fixed. Those things are a joy to use.

Jet Black
06-07-2015, 07:40 AM
I had a similar noise on my 7424xp I torn it down found the screw that goes into the gear assembly sheered off! This has been dropped a few times so that did not help!

Yeah I have drop mine about 4 times. It has a similar noise but I'll ride it out until it stops. I only use it to spread wax and sealents.

BigPoppa
07-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Going to bump this instead of starting a new thread.

Just used new PC for first time. Sounded like it was rattling at any speed below 5. But I have no idea what it is supposed to sound like.

dlc95
07-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Going to bump this instead of starting a new thread.

Just used new PC for first time. Sounded like it was rattling at any speed below 5. But I have no idea what it is supposed to sound like.

Have you checked out any videos on YouTube to see if there might be one that goes through the speeds? I think Junkman has some where he spreads the polish out at a low speed, then goes on to polish as speed 5.