PDA

View Full Version : Paint issue after polishing - white haze

M&P
04-18-2015, 08:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my paint on a black 1997 Toyota Supra.

I started to polish some swirls and scratches out by doing a test area on the hood. The idea was to start with the least aggressive pad and polish that I had available. I used the following:

- Griots DA polisher
- Green foam polishing/finishing pad (CCS Smart Pad)
- BlackFire gloss enhancing polishing
- Speed 3
- Slow arm movement for about 10-20 seconds

I'm going to guess that I some how burnt through the clear coat. Because I'm left with a white haze. I tried using Ammo Spit and microfiber to remove it but no luck. The green pad I was using appears to have some paint transfer on it, or it got a bit grey some how.

Even stranger, the only way I can seemingly get rid of the white haze is to rub my finger on it pretty hard.

Here's a video of rubbing on the spot with my finger:
https://youtu.be/UnE8UMSsQpk

Yes, it's a bit painful to watch rubbing on paint like that but... you can see after I rub on it then wipe the area with a microfiber that it gets darker like the haze is being removed.

I also tried clay bar on the area which did nothing. You can also see a nice scratch in the video which remained unfazed throughout this test.

Any idea on what the hell happened? Did I really burn through the clear coat in 10 seconds with a polishing pad? And why does it look like its coming off when I rub my finger on it?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/0x373n1g2W2d0g0g0117/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-18%20at%2020.25.06.png

manateemark
04-18-2015, 09:01 PM
While I am definitely not an expert it almost looks like you need to do another pass with a jewelers Polish. Other than that I don't know what to say.

psdnuts
04-18-2015, 09:07 PM
it almost look like caked on, or dried polish. by using your finger i think its oils from your skin that make it darker in that spot.. do u have and quick detail spray to try it on the spot you did ?
BTW you didn't rub through the clear … any color transfer on the pad ?

rms64
04-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Does your pad show any black after doing this? This would be a clear indication of going through the clear which seems unlikely to me.

It looks like you may have used too much product but kind of hard to tell. Also, speed 3 may be a bit slow. Do you have any other pads available? I'd try a much smaller test spot with a different pad and work the product a little more. IME that Blackfire polish has been very easy to remove.

Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Oh...and welcome to the forum!

Detail-Impressions
04-18-2015, 09:20 PM
I believe that Toyota used single stage paint on the solid colors, black, white & red.
Two stage on the metallic colors

M&P
04-18-2015, 10:48 PM
I believe that Toyota used single stage paint on the solid colors, black, white & red.
Two stage on the metallic colors

Ah yes, you are correct and it is a single stage paint... Not sure how that affects things now.

M&P
04-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Does your pad show any black after doing this? This would be a clear indication of going through the clear which seems unlikely to me.

It looks like you may have used too much product but kind of hard to tell. Also, speed 3 may be a bit slow. Do you have any other pads available? I'd try a much smaller test spot with a different pad and work the product a little more. IME that Blackfire polish has been very easy to remove.

Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Oh...and welcome to the forum!

The pad did show black. But I just realized it is single stage paint which I believe is going to do that. So I guess there is no clear coat to burn through.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'm using the wrong product. I figured blackfire finishing polish would make the paint clear but maybe it is not because it's not a clear coat finish?

Looking it up on AutoGeek the description says...
"BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish is recommended for use on all clear coat finishes."

I guess I don't really know enough about single stage paint... Am I using the wrong product?