PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars MF discs (which do you guys use)

d33p
04-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Just curious if you Rupes or DA owners use the MF finishing discs at all with more aggressive compounds or just sick with the cutting discs? I own plenty of foam finishing/polishing pads but wanted to give MF a spin.

Im about to place an order and was wondering if I should even bother with the finishing discs.

Ill be using fg400 sf4500 and Sonax PF 4/6.

thanks!

wdmaccord
04-17-2015, 04:27 PM
I only have the cutting discs. My thought is I am going to final polish with a foam pad.

inDetail
04-17-2015, 06:41 PM
I prefer the B&S MF discs. The mf is thicker and longer strands and silky soft. How they will work with a Rupes you will need to ask. They cut great with a PC and GG

CarolinasFinestDetailing
04-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Same as above, I only use cutting ones. I finish with foam.

Belair
04-17-2015, 07:03 PM
I don't use the finishing disks with compounds, only with the system's finishing wax.

SameGuy
04-17-2015, 07:12 PM
I've used "the system" for years, it is brilliant in its simplicity for the average weekend warrior. Much like how all the elctronic nannies in modern cars can make bad drivers safe [shudder], the Meg's DAMF system enables people new to detailing to turn cars around safely and easily. It works so well that even seasoned hobbyists can use it with confidence on a range of paints. The fun begins when you start experimenting with products from outside "the system" -- using D300 on foam pads, for instance, or maybe M101 on MF Extra Cut discs.

d33p
04-17-2015, 08:38 PM
I was trying to stay away from d300 due to m105/205 leaving small spider webbing/haziness in my paint. I started a thread on it and picked up some Menzerna which made quick work of it. Maybe German paint likes German polishes? lol Now I can see the deeper stuff I have to get rid of.

I would like to stick with DAT products and hoping the discs will work well with it.

How many do you guys go through for a mid size car? 4?

SameGuy
04-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Yeah, about four of each. You could get away with fewer if you have compressed air handy. But you should try D300/302/301 before dismissing them, as they were formulated specifically for Meg's discs.

d33p
04-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Is d300 considered more or less aggressive than fg400?

Thinking of buying the kit but it has a BP I dont need and 2 finishing discs Ill probably never use with all the foam pads I have.

SameGuy
04-17-2015, 09:48 PM
If you get the kit and try the finishing discs you'll see that D301 is a joy to use.

To compare aggressiveness, check Todd's chart:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

The Guz
04-18-2015, 12:42 AM
I've only used the cutting discs.

I've used "the system" for years, it is brilliant in its simplicity for the average weekend warrior. Much like how all the elctronic nannies in modern cars can make bad drivers safe [shudder], the Meg's DAMF system enables people new to detailing to turn cars around safely and easily. It works so well that even seasoned hobbyists can use it with confidence on a range of paints. The fun begins when you start experimenting with products from outside "the system" -- using D300 on foam pads, for instance, or maybe M101 on MF Extra Cut discs.

It's a really great system.

I was trying to stay away from d300 due to m105/205 leaving small spider webbing/haziness in my paint. I started a thread on it and picked up some Menzerna which made quick work of it. Maybe German paint likes German polishes? lol Now I can see the deeper stuff I have to get rid of.

I would like to stick with DAT products and hoping the discs will work well with it.

How many do you guys go through for a mid size car? 4?

D300 is great with these pads. It finishes better than M105. D300 works great on the new thin foam discs as well. Much easier to use, longer working time, less dust. It's a good compound.

I did a majority of my brothers car using the new foam discs and D300.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/90494-2003-pontiac-grand-prix-ameriseal-ameriwax.html

Yeah, about four of each. You could get away with fewer if you have compressed air handy. But you should try D300/302/301 before dismissing them, as they were formulated specifically for Meg's discs.

I have to agree with trying out at least D300. You will be impressed.

Is d300 considered more or less aggressive than fg400?

Thinking of buying the kit but it has a BP I dont need and 2 finishing discs Ill probably never use with all the foam pads I have.

Less aggressive.

silverfox
04-18-2015, 05:07 AM
D301 gets no love on here, but nothing is easier or faster than using a PC with a MF finishing pad and D301. They were meant for each other. If I were putting out quick turn around production AIO jobs, its all I'd use. Very underrated. Top with D156 and you got a nice, super looking car, with the longevity and hydrophobic characteristics that would surprise you. I can't imagine how nice the new Megs DA polisher would be with this combo. I could knock out AIOs all day. Megs hit it out of the park with the MF pads, D300/D301 using a plain old PC. All you hear about is Rupes this, and Flex that...but for production AIO projects or the hobbyist that enjoys driving rather than polishing paint all day...I'm a believer in the Megs MF system on an old style PC. The system flat out works and is a joy to use.

SameGuy
04-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Yep, plain and simple. A joy to use.

d33p
04-18-2015, 11:31 AM
I'd prefer to use my Rupes over my griots though.

SameGuy
04-18-2015, 11:54 AM
They'll work beautifully with the Rupes.