PDA

View Full Version : What to Buy for Griots 6" Random Orbital

scotzz
04-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Hi All,
I am getting ready to order the Griots 6" Random Orbital polisher. It comes with a 6" backing plate but I see lots of discussion about using the Lake Country (or others) 5" backing plates. I am mainly using this for polishing new cars but will use it to compound the hood, trunk lid and roof on my '64 Pontiac. Should I just stick to the 6" backing plate or go with 5"? Also, what do you recommend to start out with pads as I have no idea what I need? Also, with a 5" backing plate I would use a 5 1/2" pad?

Thanks, Scott

ski2
04-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Definately go with a 5" backing plate and 5 or 5.5" pads. The GG DA can handle the 6.5", but the smaller pads are much easier to work with and cost less. Lots of choices out there and not knowing what type/condition of the cars you will be working with it's difficult to give an absolute answer.

Consider the Buff & Shine 5.5" flat pads and their 5" backing plate (available here on AG)---very durable pads, well priced and have a recessed velcro for added safety around protruding objects like mirrors.

You could start with 4 orange for heavy work, 4 white for polishing and a red for each different LSP you plan to apply. However, depending on the hardness/softness of the paint you might be better off with 4 green rather than the white for polishing (easy for me to spend your money, but I'd get both). Here's a link to the B&S pad descriptions: flat foam pads, flat foam buffing pads, car polishing foam flat pads, DA foam 5.5" pads, flex foam pads, pc foam pads, megs g110 flat foam pads, 5.5" detailing foam pads (http://www.buffandshine.com/flat-foam-pads-p-323-l-en.html)

wdmaccord
04-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Get the 5" backing plate. If you haven't used a polisher before, there is no harm in starting out with the 6" backing plate and 6.5" pads.

I use the 5.5" lake country flat pads. I use 4" hydrotech crimson for applying sealant. You also need a 3.5" backing plate if you decide to use 4" pads. I use them on every detail for the tighter areas (white and orange flat pads). They now have 3" pads as well which you can get the 2 7/8" backing plate to run those.

Take the handle off the machine too.

cleanfreak3
04-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Get the 5" backing plate. If you haven't used a polisher before, there is no harm in starting out with the 6" backing plate and 6.5" pads.

I use the 5.5" lake country flat pads. I use 4" hydrotech crimson for applying sealant. You also need a 3.5" backing plate if you decide to use 4" pads. I use them on every detail for the tighter areas (white and orange flat pads). They now have 3" pads as well which you can get the 2 7/8" backing plate to run those.

Take the handle off the machine too.

If I'm applying Wolfgang Uber Compound, will an orange pad be the trick or should I go with yellow?
Thanks

Souldetailer
04-20-2015, 06:02 AM
If I'm applying Wolfgang Uber Compound, will an orange pad be the trick or should I go with yellow?
Thanks

Start with the least abrasive on a test spot and see if that suffices. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin