PDA

View Full Version : Using a hair dryer instead of a compressor to clean pads?

Pages : [1] 2

Mc'lovin
04-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Hi all,

I was just wondering, when cleaning your pads in between sections - has anyone ever tried using a hair dryer (with the heat off of course), instead of using an air compressor? Did it get the job done?

Setec Astronomy
04-17-2015, 10:21 AM
I have never tried that, but I don't think it would work. Not to mention don't the neighbors think you're crazy enough?

trekkeruss
04-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Never thought about using one, but I imagine it might work if you made a nozzle for it to increase the air velocity.

octane
04-17-2015, 11:00 AM
about 2 psi vs 90 psi doubt that would work very well

FUNX650
04-17-2015, 01:00 PM
A hair dryer may not be the best tool to clean pads.

However:
It may be just what the doctor ordered
for some other vehicle detailing-tasks.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1230.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/93763)

Bob

manateemark
04-17-2015, 01:40 PM
You can look for a good used pancake compressor on Craigslist for like $50. That's not that much to spend on one and once you have it you will find many more uses for it.

trekkeruss
04-17-2015, 01:48 PM
You can look for a good used pancake compressor on Craigslist for like $50.

You can get a cheap new one from Harbor Freight too. The bad about most compressors is the noise. Geez, they are LOUD.

manateemark
04-17-2015, 02:02 PM
You can always pressurize them in the garage with the garage doors closed and then just only use it when you need it. Ideally it won't leak much and you should only have to do that once. Another possible alternative is a can of air that you can buy for cleaning computers. That has to be stronger than a hair dryer. I don't know if it's strong enough to compare to an air compressor.

builthatch
04-17-2015, 02:17 PM
i use a hair dryer for a lot of stuff in the garage and around the house but...no, this won't work lol.

DBAILEY
04-18-2015, 01:57 AM
If no compressor then how about trying stiff brush then vacuum the pad. I use compressed air to clean, but every now and then I will vacuum the pad after brushing

af90
04-18-2015, 02:02 AM
You can get a cheap new one from Harbor Freight too. The bad about most compressors is the noise. Geez, they are LOUD.

If you want slightly quieter go with an oiled compressor.

If you want super quiet then look up California Air Tools.

DBAILEY
04-18-2015, 03:35 AM
Those rotary screw air compressors are very quiet had have crazy high CFM, but they are expensive.

KMdef9
04-18-2015, 05:13 AM
about 2 psi vs 90 psi doubt that would work very well

Nailed it.

It's the pressure of the compressed air that does the work.

I'd suggest buying more pads while using the "cleaning on the fly method", versus the compressor route if your a weekend enthusiast. If you have a need for one around the house, maybe, but I wouldn't buy one for the sole purpose of cleaning pads.

Pancake compressors will have to refill after 1 use, making it a loud en-devour.

Setec Astronomy
04-18-2015, 07:50 AM
If you want super quiet then look up California Air Tools.

Wow, thanks for sharing that, those look really good, and not too expensive, either. Free shipping from HD.

af90
04-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Wow, thanks for sharing that, those look really good, and not too expensive, either. Free shipping from HD.

No problem, they just had a 20 percent off deal recently. Amazon also has them on sale from time to time. The 10 gallon one is tempting, especially after that youtube clip they have comparing them.