PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin

Buck91
04-16-2015, 09:19 PM
Used up all my claybar last year, or maybe even before that. I usually don't clay before waxing due to time and sun issues, but I have heard nanoskin makes this chore MUCH easier so I am kind of looking at the "medium" sponge. My paint is in overall good shape and is lighter in color, but I also want to clay the plastic headlights before wax (for better adhesion) as well as the windshield (to reduce artifact).

I do have a couple questions, though, so I hope you don't mind me asking.

1. Budget is a factor, as is time and effort required. Looking at the medium sponge, is that a good choice? If not what would you recommend?

2. AG says Nanoskin GLYDE is recommended but I have a lot of ONR which I have always used with claybar. Will this work? What about soapy water?

3. Here's the money question. Does nanoskin live up to the hype? I don't have a show truck, its a DD. But on the rare occasion I get to pamper the paint I do love a nice result.

Thank you!

Kamakaz1961
04-16-2015, 09:41 PM
I use the Nanoskin "Blue" Sponge and have no issues with it and like it way better than clay. As for the medium sponge I can't give a comment as the Blue has done well for me. The red sponge is supposed to be a "heavier" duty sponge so IMO you can stick with the blue as you state you car is in good shape.

I use Pinnacle RW/w Carnauba as my lube and it works fine. ONR should be fine too. Just make sure the mixture is at a higher level for claying.

I believe Nanoskin lives up to the hype and I have had success using it.

BTW, I do have a clay bar handy, however, I have not touched it since I used the Nanoskin.

CaveRacing
04-17-2015, 04:58 AM
I agree with everything CJ said. I've been using Griots clay for over 10 years. Recently, I tried the Nanoskin sponge combo and I won't look back. If your car is in good shape, I agree - use the blue (fine grade) sponge.

I just bought the blue mitt as I am sure this will speed up the process even more. It has been raining here, but I'm looking forward to using it soon! The sponge was definitely quicker than clay, though. I bought the combo kit first because I wanted to get a feel for things and see if this product actually lived up to the hype. It does!! In fact, in my opinion, the nanoskin sponge gives better feedback during use. As you remove contaminants, I was better able to feel and hear the difference as I was doing it vs using the clay.

I use mine with ONR at the clay lube dilution, which is 2oz to a gallon of water, or 1/2oz in a 32oz bottle. It works great.

Dilutions are found here:
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html)

Give it a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

joecollectin
04-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Recommend that you start with the blue sponge (least aggressive method to start) and move to medium or heavy if that doesn't work. I recently used the blue sponge on a black car and it worked great - no marring and definitely took the contaminants off. As was said in another thread about this subject, use the soapy water you wash the car with as lubricant.

DetailKitty
04-17-2015, 09:03 AM
+1 on Blue Nankin and using ONR as a lubricant :dblthumb2:

DeviousDetail
04-17-2015, 10:10 AM
I also will +1 on the Blue Nanoskin as well as the Red Nanoskin.

For vehicles that have a scratch resistant coating on them the Red will be able to work on it.

You must make sure you are using something with high lube factors as it can mar the paint if you end up going over the same spot to much.

I will sometimes foam the car with my foam lance with IRON X snow soap and will let that sit for a little to dissolve will then rinse and will cover again with snow foam and will then scrub. Then foam again and use the blue sponge or the the blue mitt to clay with. Then rinse and dry.

This method seems to be the most efficient for me.