PDA

View Full Version : using polish before waxing?

jocar
04-16-2015, 12:38 PM
I am going to wax my new black car using a synthetic liquid wax, but I am wondering if I should polish it first with meguiars ultimate polish. The only thing that has been applied to the paint is a sealer called diamond kote so am unsure if I need to polish first as the paint is in excellent condition being a new car.

tylerlehmann6
04-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Somebody correct me if im wrong but I think polishing it will remove the sealent you have on the car now, so you dont havt to polish as the paint is already in great shape. But you could always put a layer of wax over the existing sealent

Kamakaz1961
04-16-2015, 12:50 PM
IMO Polishing could not hurt and in fact will bring out the shine even better. However, if your ride is already in excellent condition then just apply the wax over the sealant. I apply a sealant and then a wax when I detail my cars. IMO the best way to go.

If you do polish, you will have to start all over and apply the sealant and then apply the wax.

I am assuming Diamond Kote is a sealant...I am not familiar with that brand.

trekkeruss
04-16-2015, 01:10 PM
I am going to wax my new black car using a synthetic liquid wax, but I am wondering if I should polish it first with meguiars ultimate polish.

It depends on what kind of synthetic liquid wax you are talking about. Is it a finishing wax, or a cleaner wax, or an all-in-one wax?

The only thing that has been applied to the paint is a sealer called diamond kote so am unsure if I need to polish first as the paint is in excellent condition being a new car.

I don't know what is Diamond Kote. Is it something the dealer applied? If so, you shouldn't need to do anything now; it is a sealant/wax. However, your car's paint may have contaminants and or imperfections that were just covered over by the dealer installed sealant...in which case you need to remove the contaminants and imperfections before you wax (or seal).

Go to this site's Detailing How-to's section and follow the flow chart to determine what steps you need to do to take care of your car's finish. Good luck.

FUNX650
04-16-2015, 01:48 PM
More than likely...that "liquid synthetic Wax"
you are talking about is a Sealant.

If that's the case:
You would be applying a Sealant on top of the
Dealership-installed Sealant. I'll call this "layering".

Even though Meguiar's Ultimate Pollish is a very light abrasive product, there is a fairly good chance by using it...it may just remove the aforementioned Dealership's Diamond Kote Sealant...thereby:
necessitating an application of another Last Step Product (LSP) of your choice. I'll call this: "removing one LSP in order to apply a different LSP".

Question that I have is:
Are you ready to go either of these routes?

Bob