PDA

View Full Version : Fine scratches on side mirror

VeloNYC
04-16-2015, 09:02 AM
A brand new car only 2 months old, two days ago after 2nd wash noticed that a whole car covered with fine swirls including side mirrors. I suppose since car was 100 miles when I got it a dealer installed some swirls free of charge by washing it couple of times and applied glaze to conceal swirls.
I can deal with a body paint, but fine scratches on side mirrors which is in my life I never experienced I have no clue how to remove.
The scratches are so fine that you can see them only when a sun shines at right angle. They are not deep, not visible day/night at all.
Solution used to remove: Mothers water spot removal, ceriglass with CCS Euro white foam. Also, I applied gtechniq g1 thinking it might fill up scratches like a glaze. All these steps helped (may be not) but not to the extend to praise about.

Heisenberg
04-16-2015, 09:34 AM
Had the exact problem, and went too aggressive chasing them. Faded the middle of my mirror and had to buy replacements. They are extremely thin. You can try something more aggressive but just be aware that is a possibility.

Don M
04-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Had the exact problem, and went too aggressive chasing them. Faded the middle of my mirror and had to buy replacements. They are extremely thin. You can try something more aggressive but just be aware that is a possibility.

I had some serious oxidation and scratches on my passenger side mirror, a little Ultimate Polish and a little rubbing and it was all gone ... and not even a scrap of red on the cloth (ss paint).

Heisenberg
04-16-2015, 11:13 AM
I had some serious oxidation and scratches on my passenger side mirror, a little Ultimate Polish and a little rubbing and it was all gone ... and not even a scrap of red on the cloth (ss paint).

Do you mean the side mirror painted side? I thought the poster was referring to the actual reflective mirrors since they mentioned trying Ceriglass and G1, which is for glass.

Setec Astronomy
04-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Had the exact problem, and went too aggressive chasing them. Faded the middle of my mirror and had to buy replacements.

Obviously some of those side mirrors (the reflective, mirror part) aren't really glass. The ones I've seen broken are, but I've never tried to polish one, either.

Heisenberg
04-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Definitely. Found that out the hard way. I didn't even have to go too aggressive to "burn through". I imagine it's a similar effect as to when you go through some of that faux-chrome trim on cars.

Rsurfer
04-16-2015, 01:44 PM
The side mirrors are a film and should be replaced if scratched.

VeloNYC
04-16-2015, 04:18 PM
I had 4 cars in total in my ownership since 2000, how is it possible I never ran in to this issue? I was always cleaning mirrors with microfiber prior applying glass cleaner. This one heated, with blind spot led, may be it is thinner than others, if it a reason then thousands will have the same issue considering the fact how deliberate I'm with my ride.