PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to get started?

aheibul
04-15-2015, 09:37 PM
hello everyone!!

I have a good base started for maintaining my vehicles (2011 BMW 535i and 2002 Ford F-350 CCLB DSL).

I have the following:
Clay mitt and Clay Lube
Chemical guys Carnuba wax, V7 Quick Detailer
2 buckets, wash mitt and brushes
Diablo wheel cleaner and Wheel Guard Wax Sealant
Nice gas pressure washer

I have nasty oxidation on my BMW and my Ford was a work truck that has been flogged it's whole 400k life.

I am wondering if i can get somewhat of a list of what I really need to start correcting my paint.

Here is what i'm thinking:
Microfiber towels
10 - wax removal
10 - Windows
4 - Large drying towels

Pressure washer foam cannon

Torx 10FX OP
V-Line polishing and sealing kit
Buffing Pads - 4 of each for each color (Not sure which i need, please advise)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I get the feeling CG is not highly regarded around here so please throw out any other brand suggestions. I am a newbie at this stuff and their website makes shopping easy.. I was a little overwhelmed over how much stuff you can get from your store.

Thanks guys!!

2011 Kona Blue
04-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Welcome Sir,

I have always had good results when dealing with oxidation by using Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I would start out using an orange cutting pad and if that doesn't work, try it with the yellow aggressive cutting pad. That should rid that nasty oxidation you had.

I really like the Meguiars Ultimate Compound because it cuts like an aggressive compound but finishes like a polish. Its nice stuff.

I do have Chemical Guys cutting polish but I haven't used it yet. I too am a big fan of the Chemical Guys products and AG actually sells some CG products.

The clay mitt is fantastic so you will love that. Really speeds up the claying process. You having a pressure washer is great.

VISITOR
04-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Torx 10FX OP

pass on this ^ and get the GG6 or megs mt300 (two companies that have good customer service and stand behind their products) instead...

Kamakaz1961
04-15-2015, 10:12 PM
pass on this ^ and get the GG6 or megs mt300 (two companies that have good customer service and stand behind their products) instead...

:iagree:

I am not a Chemical Guys hand from 1st hand experience. Better off getting DP, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Megs or Menzerna over CG.

I agree get the GG6 or PC7424XP. The GG6 has a lifetime warranty....

LaFawnduh
04-15-2015, 11:46 PM
CG makes really cost effective wash soaps (honeydew and citrus wash are good) and cleansers (Diablo wheel and citrus APC) but their waxes and polishes leave a lot to be desired. I'm with CJ on this one: stick to AGO brands or Meguiars.

I have the CG lava wax - gladly hook you up with a sample or trade if desired.

Also, for towels, the supreme 530s sold on AGO are good if you like shopping here. There are less expensive retailers others will point out but go where you are comfortable.

For the polisher, the Torq is a rebadged product. Go with the Griots units or the Meguiars as a newbie.

dcjredline
04-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Meguiars Ultimate Compound with 3-4 orange pads (or meguiars flat cutting pads)
Meguiars Ultimate Polish with 3-4 White pads (or Meguiars flat polishing pads)

Should be good to go.
GG6 would be my choice and was my choice when I started.

aheibul
04-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Are my towel numbers? Anyone advise a good pressure washer foam cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcjredline
04-24-2015, 12:57 AM
I would steer you away from a foam cannon. Its much more for "show" yes it does clean and break up things prior to washing but I wish I had spent my $129 on something I would use more. I barely touch it anymore.

Towel numbers - I would say that 10 wax and window towels is a bit too much unless you are doing 5+ cars a day.

VISITOR
04-24-2015, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Are my towel numbers? Anyone advise a good pressure washer foam cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no need to make ordering mf towels difficult. order a dozen (link below) of the cobra gold plush mf towels to get you started (you don't want to waste water only washing a few towels at a time) and for drying you can buy a couple of waffle weaves and/or a leaf blower which will only leave some droplets behind that a mf towel and qd/spray wax can take care of. you can use the gold plush for the paint (plush side) and also windows (low nap side). get a couple of packs of the yellow costco/kirkland bulk mf towels (36pk) for all other areas such as the interior, door jams, wheels, engine, etc,. just make sure to wash/dry those separate from each other...

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 12 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel-12.html)
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/gold-plush-jr-microfiber-towels-12-pack-1.gif

for $129.88 at sams club this is a pretty good deal. looks like they gave it new a facelift from the previous version as well...
http://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/samsclub/0004639601370_A?wid=1500&hei=1500&fmt=jpg&qlt=80

kirkatizer
04-29-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm currently getting rid of my GG6 comes 6" and 5" Backing Plates also the White brissel attachment for carpets and seats. I've had it a year. If your interested shoot me a PM. Pics are available.

aheibul
05-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Meguiars Ultimate Compound with 3-4 orange pads (or meguiars flat cutting pads)
Meguiars Ultimate Polish with 3-4 White pads (or Meguiars flat polishing pads)

Should be good to go.
GG6 would be my choice and was my choice when I started.

I got a GG6 with a 5 and 6 inch mounting plates. Can anyone go into the advantages of each size? I grabbed some 6.5 finishing pads from autozone and waxed my car, but now I need to order some cutting/polishing pads to go with the meguiars cutting and polishing waxes I got yesterday.

It's kinda hard to find 6.5s for reasonable. any help is appreciated.

I would steer you away from a foam cannon. Its much more for "show" yes it does clean and break up things prior to washing but I wish I had spent my $129 on something I would use more. I barely touch it anymore.

Towel numbers - I would say that 10 wax and window towels is a bit too much unless you are doing 5+ cars a day.

I love my foam cannon! it makes it so easy to wash my truck and car quickly.. maybe I just suck at the 2 bucket method.