PDA

View Full Version : Trim leaving black stuff on towels.

A1monky
08-31-2007, 08:34 PM
I am detailing my first car!! I went home (jupiter,FL) this weekend to detail my dads 2000 black F-150. This car has been abused for its hole life. My family believes that a truck is a only a truck. And that waxing, or washing is not nessesary. I washed and clayed the car today. Since I ran out of sun, I will polish it tomorrow morning. While I was drying the car, I noticed that black stuff was getting all over my drying towel! After some investigation, I found out it was the trim that was leaving this nasty black stuff on my towel. I has hoping that someone else has had this same problem, and could tell me what to do.
What should I apply to the trim to stop it from turning my towels black??
I have DG #271, I havent tryed it yet, will that work?

Also the car has a few rust spots on it.
Should I avoid polishing these spots?

My GF got a Canon XTI Digital SLR today, so I should have some great pics when I am done tommorow!

Thanks, Mike

A1monky
08-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Feed back please

Thejoyofdriving
09-01-2007, 03:25 AM
What is the trim made of?

TOGWT
09-01-2007, 04:00 AM
What you are seeing on the towel is probaly oxidation unless the paint is a single stage (i.e. no clear coat)

Clean the paint surface with a chemical cleaner and the 'rubber / plastic with a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner.
Use detailer's clay to remove surface contaminents.
Prep the surface (after removing oxidation) with a suitible grade of polish
Apply a dressing to the rubber/plastic trim

pt91
09-01-2007, 05:03 AM
sounds like the trim is oxidized. poorboys PPP will fix that.

A1monky
09-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys, poorboys PPP is a chemical polish. I have Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion, will that work also.?

Al-53
09-01-2007, 06:04 PM
If the black is coming off of the black plastic trim and its not painted trim it is oxidized plastic....it will happen with rubber also...a trim detailer will work to remove it and renew it....

AL

Surfer
09-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Haha, funny this post came up, I'm going to post a picture later on of some terry cloths I used today on trim with some Blue Magic Vinyl/Leather cleaner.....all the black oxidation, water spots etc are gone and trim buffed to a nice sheen as new. My fingers hurt like a beotch though right now lol, wish I had some small buffing pads that could have screwed into a drill.

Whats weird is nothing else I've used inluding AIO worked well, waterspots remained, and other plastic cleaners never turned the towels as black as today. Wait till you see the pics.