PDA

View Full Version : Removing dry wax haze question

Fred Rickson
04-14-2015, 01:14 PM
It seems that a Super Soft Gold Jeweling Foam Pad is meant to apply wax in the gentlest way possible. My question: Can I use this pad to remove the final "haze" after a wax has dried?

I ask because, at 76, I have a fake shoulder and an arthritic one, and two arthritic thumbs. So, using a cotton terry cloth towel and rubbing out the haze means my shoulder hurts for a week. Holding my Porter Cable, fitted with a terry cloth bonnet for a couple of hours means my thumbs hurt for a week. A microfiber bonnet just doesn't remove the haze very well without a lot of pressure.

The project is a once-a-year waxing of our 35ft 5th wheel. Before you ask, last year I took it to a professional RV refinisher for the task. He looked at the 15 year-old surface and said "I'll try." They really did a nice job, but in getting the surface oxidation off they went a little deep and the finish now looks a little "thin." It's fine, I'll just do it myself from now on.

Sorry for going on so long, my aim is just to try and make fewer passes with a lighter touch....if that's possible. Thank you.

FUNX650
04-14-2015, 03:00 PM
It seems that a Super Soft Gold Jeweling Foam Pad is meant to apply wax in the gentlest way possible.

My question: Can I use this pad to remove the final "haze" after a wax has dried?
I suppose it may be possible if you:
"clean the pad on the fly" often enough.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html

Bob

KMdef9
04-14-2015, 03:27 PM
I've never removed wax with a pad, but...

What about using a wax that removes easier?

cardaddy
04-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Fred, you can absolutely remove wax with a DA (and a soft pad). That being said, I'd NEVER suggest a terrycloth bonnet, probably wouldn't use a microfiber bonnet either.

On the RV neither is going to really show any damage to paint like it would on a car/truck though, and BOTH would work to remove wax on that surface.

I agree with the other poster though that you should just switch to an easily removable LSP. I'd SERIOUSLY BE LOOKING at a sealant. Durability of sealants are much better than waxes, and generally they are easier to both apply and remove. (Plus some don't turn all your trim white.)

If you want something affordable, and available locally, you can generally find Meguiar's M21 2.0 at Advance Auto Parts (and perhaps O'Reilly as well). Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (liquid version) and M26 liquid Yellow Wax (actually a hybrid sealant/wax), are two that they've always said don't stain trim, although NXT and M21 2.0 don't stain trim if you wipe it off when it's wet. All of them are a great alternative to a 'wax' that tends to leave pretty much any and all trim white. :rolleyes:

Removal of sealants is a breeze, just apply with a machine, let haze a bit, then remove with a microfiber towel. Although on that big monster I'd use a soft foam pad and machine!:dblthumb2:

FWIW, Advance has all sorts of coupon codes out there. One I've been using for a couple years now is 30% off. It used to work on all orders, no matter what amount they were... but now it only works on orders over $50. (But it is still 30%.) ;)

Of course there are others, Blackfire (several), Sonax (several), Pinnacle (several), Optimum, Collinite, Nattys Blue, Zaino, Ultima Paint Guard and this is just the tip of the iceberg. All of these though (with the exception of Collinite) would cost more than M21 or ULW. ;)