PDA

View Full Version : How to finish windshield for sandy area?

GeoffW
04-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Hi Guys!
My name is Geoff and I am a Brit living in Cyprus (Med) this is my very first post on here, so firstly....HELLO!

My question is asked because we have a dry and long summer here which is sandy and dusty. I plan to detail my VW Golf and I am thinking to use a Rayon pad with Ceriglass. I am not sure if I should coat the screen afterwards??? What are your thoughts please?

a) yes it would protect the screen from contaminants and bugs

b) I am concerned the dust and sandy environment will damage the coating making things worse?

Anyway, great forum, I hope to be around for ages! :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
04-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm a little confused--does your windshield have defects now? Are you concerned that the dust and sand alone will damage the windshield, or in combination with using the wipers?

GeoffW
04-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Hi Setec,
Sorry to cause confusion, no real damage, but greasy smears that are proving quite stubborn to remove. I am concerned that the sand will damage a coating when I use the wipers and end up looking worse.

Setec Astronomy
04-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Okay, first I wouldn't resort to Ceriglass on a rayon pad to remove greasy smears, that's way too aggressive. Just use a non-oily polish, if you have one, on an orange pad.

If anything, theoretically a glass coating will help protect you against sand/wiper scratches, but in reality if you get sand between the wiper and the glass, it's going through any coating to the glass.

What I'm saying is the coating can only help (not be worse as you suggest), but the best idea is not to use the wipers when there's sand present.