PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a 4BM?

Pages : [1] 2

KMdef9
04-13-2015, 11:13 PM
When breaking out the buckets for an extremely dirty vehicle, and not having a power washer yet, does anyone use a "fourth" bucket and dedicated wash mitt for the bottom (dirtiest) parts? (some might call it a 3BM if they don't use a wheel bucket or don't account for wheel bucket in the method of bucketing)

My thoughts for the buckets are;

1. Tires, wheel wells, rims, plastic trim, exhaust tips, etc.
2. Rinse bucket
3. Paint wash bucket for upper 2/3 (or 1/2) of vehicle
4. Paint wash bucket for lower 1/3 (or 1/2) of vehicle

I thought of this when recently cleaning the wife's car, as she doesn't bother avoiding puddles. With my current 2BM method, I have 3 dedicated wash mitts that I use when washing. Breaking the vehicle down into 1/3's (sometimes 1/2's if not too bad), I introduce one mitt at a time, top to bottom obviously, always using the same mitt for the same 1/3. When doing this, I find myself constantly moving the hose and what not from side to side. For example, foaming, washing then rinsing the drivers side upper 1/3, then dragging the equipment to the passenger side, as I can't (for that matter don't) wash any part of the second third of the vehicle until the entire top third is complete.

If I had an additional bucket for the bottom 1/3 or 1/2, I could wash the whole side at once, hopefully cutting the wash time down while not risking cross contamination. I'd probably use less water and soap, as I could foam/wash/rinse a whole side once versus doing it 2 or 3 times.

Thoughts?

raysanni
04-13-2015, 11:21 PM
Sounds like overkill but it actually makes a lot of sense

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

KMdef9
04-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Sounds like overkill but it actually makes a lot of sense

I'm sure most of what we do here is considered overkill to common folk, lol.

I'm looking at it as a way to save time and not increase risk of marring/scratching. As this and the drying stage are the highest risk for me (And I'm sure many others). It's not a big investment either.

Breese147
04-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Will help a lot with preventing swirls just a lot of extra time I do this method in the summer when I have more time!

builthatch
04-13-2015, 11:45 PM
sounds like complete overkill to me :)

as a savvy enthusiast, you use common sense and good equipment - i know you do, or else you wouldn't be here, so i think you are getting a hair paranoid.

i use two buckets for both my washed vehicles, one is a garage queen, one is a true outside 24/7 daily driver. i wash both from top to bottom (roof, side windows/pillars/mirrors, hood, front window, trunk lid, rear window, upper doors/quarters, front, lower front, lower sides, lower rear) and then when done with the body, switch to exhaust tips/extreme lowers/wells/wheels using another mitt and assorted daytonas and brushes, all using the remainder of the wash solution topped off if necessary. most of these second tier surfaces get pre-treated with Power Clean.

i have no issues on either vehicle no matter how dirty. i mean, vehicles don't get much dirtier than when trudging through a NJ winter and i had no problems or concerns this past winter, which was especially grime-filled. i'm a stickler for pre-rinsing extremely well - no power washer used here either.

raysanni
04-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Good one

KMdef9
04-14-2015, 12:50 AM
sounds like complete overkill to me :)

as a savvy enthusiast, you use common sense and good equipment - i know you do, or else you wouldn't be here, so i think you are getting a hair paranoid.

i use two buckets for both my washed vehicles, one is a garage queen, one is a true outside 24/7 daily driver. i wash both from top to bottom (roof, side windows/pillars/mirrors, hood, front window, trunk lid, rear window, upper doors/quarters, front, lower front, lower sides, lower rear) and then when done with the body, switch to exhaust tips/extreme lowers/wells/wheels using another mitt and assorted daytonas and brushes, all using the remainder of the wash solution topped off if necessary. most of these second tier surfaces get pre-treated with Power Clean.

i have no issues on either vehicle no matter how dirty. i mean, vehicles don't get much dirtier than when trudging through a NJ winter and i had no problems or concerns this past winter, which was especially grime-filled. i'm a stickler for pre-rinsing extremely well - no power washer used here either.

Thanks for the input. It's primarily meant to help save time, obviously I don't want to damage anything.

Do you use multiple mitts?

AnthonyGXP
04-14-2015, 04:24 AM
[QUOTE=KMdef9;1240953]I'm sure most of what we do here is considered overkill to common folk, lol.

I'm looking at it as a way to save time and not increase risk of marring/scratching. As this and the drying stage are the highest risk for me (And I'm sure many others). It's not a big investment either.[/QUOTE

Even being as anal/OCD! as I am/was made me look back and realize I worried about these little things on a CONSTANT bases to the point I couldn't enjoy my BLACK car!

At this point I've learned that, and now able to enjoy my car ALMOST worry free as it was intended for.

I just keep telling myself if I do get minor wash/dry induced marring that I always have an excuse to break out the machines!

However, as you mentioned I don't use the forth bucket, but I do use a dedicated mitt for lower panels.

LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT TO WORRY ABOUT SWIRLS!

Remember that most people at normal viewing distance will think it's a new car, and you'll think that the paint is trashed with swirls!.......I guess that's just how us AG'ers think!

AnthonyGXP
04-14-2015, 04:27 AM
I'm sure most of what we do here is considered overkill to common folk, lol.

I'm looking at it as a way to save time and not increase risk of marring/scratching. As this and the drying stage are the highest risk for me (And I'm sure many others). It's not a big investment either.

Even being as anal/OCD! as I am/was made me look back and realize I worried about these little things on a CONSTANT bases to the point I couldn't even enjoy my BLACK car!

At this point I've learned that, and now ALMOST able to enjoy it worry free for it's INTENDED purpose.

I just keep telling myself if I do get minor wash/dry induced marring, that I always have an excuse to break out the machines! Which I do enjoy!

However, as you mentioned I don't use the forth bucket, but I do use a dedicated mitt for lower panels.

LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT TO WORRY ABOUT SWIRLS!

Remember that most people at normal viewing distance will think it's a new car, and you'll think that the paint is trashed with swirls!.......I guess that's just how us AG'ers think!

silverfox
04-14-2015, 04:50 AM
Every time you rub anything against the paint...it actually damages it. If you're careful, the damage isn't noticeable. Only a coating can truly protect the paint from being damaged by wiping. The coatings take the damage and the underlying paint remains unaffected. The term "scratch free" really is a marketing term that makes people feel safe by using the product. In reality, any wiping across the paint is damaging it, albeit not noticeable to the eye.

HateSwirls
04-14-2015, 05:23 AM
I'm starting to just fill up one bucket with soap and water and then pt in a bunch of MF towels into the bucket.
I keep an extra bucket next to me so once I'm done with a towel I toss it into the dirty bucket.
For me it's faster being I don't have to rinse out the towel after every panel.
Another thing I do is keep a small bucket filled with just water so I can rinse out my detail brush as French as I need.

IMO four buckets is overkill but hey, if it works for you then I say use it.

KMdef9
04-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Every time you rub anything against the paint...it actually damages it. If you're careful, the damage isn't noticeable.

That's what I aiming for when speeding up my 2BM.

I'm starting to just fill up one bucket with soap and water and then pt in a bunch of MF towels into the bucket.
I keep an extra bucket next to me so once I'm done with a towel I toss it into the dirty bucket.
For me it's faster being I don't have to rinse out the towel after every panel.
Another thing I do is keep a small bucket filled with just water so I can rinse out my detail brush as French as I need.

IMO four buckets is overkill but hey, if it works for you then I say use it.

So you apply the GDM to the 2BM? I guess buying a few more mitts (or dedicated MFs) wouldn't be a bad idea either, that could allow me to complete one side at a time. Similar to rinsless washes.

Would it be ok to use rinsless MFs for a 2BM? I can't see why not.

I have a fourth bucket lying around, just no grit guard for it. I'll be trying it the next time the wife's car gets washed.

FUNX650
04-14-2015, 04:15 PM
No...
I've never thought about using a 4-buckets-method, et al,
to wash any vehicle...Ever.
Excessive "OCD-ness"?: :dunno:

But, then again:
Can your life, like your car, ever get:
too dirty, messy, or broken down?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1221.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/93481)

Bob

d33p
04-14-2015, 04:23 PM
4bm means you have OCD problems!

For wheels I spray them with sonax, dwell, agitate, rinse. No use for a bucket. Same with exhaust tips....no real need for a bucket. Paint and trim are one thing for me.

SameGuy
04-14-2015, 04:30 PM
I do it exactly the same as builthatch. I use the same MO with my winter 2BM RWs, too.