PDA

View Full Version : Layering Optiseal

Texchappy
04-13-2015, 07:22 PM
I have a bottle of Optiseal that's been hanging around my cabinet for a while. I broke it out to put on my wife's car. Is there a benefit to layering Optiseal?

If so, how many layers?

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
04-13-2015, 08:12 PM
My understanding is that you can't layer it. But you can apply it twice to ensure complete and even coverage.

Odisious
04-13-2015, 08:25 PM
What SID above said is true of a similar coating who's branding I cannot speak here.

If you were not extremely deliberate and detailed in your coat then a second "layer" more like a pass will be worth it. You will find that there will be some white flakey residue and powder because the coating you put down will not accept the next layer.

If you feel there is any chance that there is a portion of paint not coated then hit it again...in that instance it is worth it.

vobro
04-13-2015, 08:30 PM
What SID above said is true of a similar coating who's branding I cannot speak here.

If you were not extremely deliberate and detailed in your coat then a second "layer" more like a pass will be worth it. You will find that there will be some white flakey residue and powder because the coating you put down will not accept the next layer.

If you feel there is any chance that there is a portion of paint not coated then hit it again...in that instance it is worth it.

I've never seen Opti Seal flake or have powder

Odisious
04-13-2015, 08:34 PM
I've never seen Opti Seal flake or have powder

Only when trying to apply a second app on top of an existing using a foam applicator...perhaps this would not happen with the nap of a microfiber. Point being, it won't accept a second coat. I am not stating that it flakes or powders as a product in general.

Setec Astronomy
04-13-2015, 08:51 PM
What are you guys talking about? Of course you can layer Opti-Seal. Like any LSP, there are diminishing returns to layering.

Since WOWA sealants are so easy to apply, my suggestion would be to use it sort of like a spray wax, and apply it after washing, maybe every other or every few washes, or every wash if wash infrequently. That's if you're trying to get rid of it, like it seems you are.

And yes, people have used Opti-Seal as a drying aid.

FUNX650
04-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Yes...
You can layer Opti-Seal (OS). However:
For best results you should wait 12-24 hours
between the OS layering-applications.

Benefits of layering OS:
-Ensures total coverage
-Shows-off/Enhances the paint's assets:
in a "glittering-fashion".

Wait a minute!!! My fault:
I was thinking of "glittering-fashion" in the same sense as
Kate Upton's plunging silver corset enhances her assets in
the "Game Of War" commercials.

Bob

Texchappy
04-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info. Doh didn't think to check the OPT q&A. It confirmed it can be layered at 12-24 hour intervals.

So how many layers?

Rsurfer
04-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Only when trying to apply a second app on top of an existing using a foam applicator...perhaps this would not happen with the nap of a microfiber. Point being, it won't accept a second coat. I am not stating that it flakes or powders as a product in general.

You need to wash your applicator my friend. Been laying OS for years with no flakes or powders with a foam or mf applicator. :props: