PDA

View Full Version : Getting new customers

Pages : [1] 2

manateemark
04-13-2015, 07:57 AM
So I am hoping to begin a mobile detailing business within a year and my biggest problem will be the business side of it. Not the actual detailing part. I know that in order to be the best person out there you need to have a plan. I need help though with strategies to get new customers. With it being mobile there won't be a storefront for people to drive by. I plan on buying some large custom magnets with my business info to put on the side of my car and having a website. I know that that won't be enough. What's the best way to attract new customers?

DiamondShine900
04-13-2015, 08:12 AM
I have car magnets buisness flyers my buisness profile to show to people and custom buisness cards 500 count..iv been doing this ever since I graduated high school I'm 28 now so I still love it..to bring in new customers you gotta put your buisness out there put up flyers make buisness cards etc..I got all my custom supplies from vistaprints

manateemark
04-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Yeah I'm in high school right now and have a passion for caring for cars. It's a great thing to do in the summer and quite honestly it pays pretty well. As well as the fact that a lot of the detailing equipment is stuff that anyone should have.

FinishingTouchA
04-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Word of mouth and, if you are in a medium-large area (100k+ population), a website. I'm in a small area so my website has never had a big impact on my business, maybe 1 customer a month. For the last 2 years I've been mobile, most of that time I was also working a full time job. It always died off in the winter and I was always fighting cancelations when the weather wasn't perfect. Don't expect to just up and quit your job and make a full time living. I do have to say having the storefront for the past month has changed everything 100 fold. Just do quality work and provide amazing customer service. Make a Facebook page and ask your customers for reviews and don't be afraid to ask for referrals.

DiamondShine900
04-13-2015, 08:51 AM
I usually provide mobile detailing service to clients within a 100 mile radius..I'll also go to popular cities to post my flyers and buisness cards on grocery store bullitian boards to attract customers..at a buisness standpoint I offer what the customers wants and needs I'll also throw in other services as a add on bonus..my biggest buisness add on is offering weekly\daily maintenance program.

FinishingTouchA
04-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah I'm in high school right now and have a passion for caring for cars. It's a great thing to do in the summer and quite honestly it pays pretty well. As well as the fact that a lot of the detailing equipment is stuff that anyone should have.

This is partly true. Go to craigslist and search for detailing. You'll find guys who will do a "full detail" for $75. You can't be in this business to make a quick buck. Yes, it's okay to start out with the cheaper equipment and supplies but don't be pocketing that money. If you really want to be successful, you'll put that money right back into the business. I started with a Harbor Freight orbital, a bissel spot cleaner, costco microfiber towels, and a bunch of other otc supplies. Now I have a Rupes 21, Flex rotary, mytee extractor, lots of high end towels and supplies from AG, And a relationship with the local pro detail supply distributor. If you want to make it, you've got to be business focused.

Jaretr1
04-13-2015, 09:13 AM
How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books (http://www.autogeek.net/car-detailing-book.html)

Get this book! And of course read it. Renny Doyle is not only a great guy but also a master detailer. He spells out everything he learned through the course of his career in this book. This should be required reading for all interested in starting a detailing business or have one thats struggling.

DiamondShine900
04-13-2015, 09:21 AM
That's true..I get high end supplies from AG along with other major brands..I listen to customers wants and or request providing customer service at a higher level..my price options or package options are priced very well most regular car washes offer services by vehicle type car,truck,SUV etc iv took that concept and just refined it to where customers can afford these type of services..overall I enjoy detailing vehicles of all kinds iv always had passion for car care along with kept in mind that one day I'll be successful and that day came in my late 20s

manateemark
04-13-2015, 01:03 PM
What are good ways other than magnets/wraps on your car and a website?

DiamondShine900
04-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Buisness cards you can customize your own at vistaprints..500 for $19.95 last I recall

Pureshine
04-13-2015, 06:08 PM
Time! Do great work and customers will come. All I've ever done is website,Facebook and word of mouth. I wouldn't do flyers a lot of cities don't allow them on car and most people hate them on their cars.

andy2485
04-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Network, network, network! give deals to first time customers, and or ones who refer new people to you. it's all about word of mouth. Use the internet, you dont necessarily need a website, a facebook one will do just fine. use social media, facebook as stated, instagram, twitter, linkedin.

Ebg18t
04-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Manateemark - where are you? Sometimes certain types of advertising works better in certain areas.

manateemark
04-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Within like 25 miles of Wilmington NC. There is one neighborhood in particular that has literally everything from BMW's to 918 to csx to F40 to Bugatti Veyron SS. That is literally only one neighborhood though. I want to become a big enough detailer that I'll get business from them. There's not even a big detailer in this area though. I don't know who is detailing these million dollar super cars.

chet31
04-19-2015, 12:15 AM
I have made a good living in sales for 30 years. OP, you are correct to worry about acquiring new customers.

I know nothing about marketing a detailing business. However, if I had to start one tomorrow, I think I would hit parking lots and ramps.

Develop a flyer, the main message is "give me your keys on your way in to work, when you return to your car after work, your car will be transformed." Put the flyer on 500 cars per day. The harder you work, the luckier you'll get.

Lots/ramps are attractive because you can hit a lot of cars in a short period of time, you can choose lots/ramps of successful companies, and you can choose vehicles (put the flyer on the dirty BMW, skip the rusted out Astro van.

Anyway, just a thought, but my instincts usually aren't too bad.