PDA

View Full Version : Need help matching compounds and pads

alteredzx
04-13-2015, 06:12 AM
ok, so I just bought a whole flurry of items so I can test out and see what I like. After I get stuff mixed and matched then I can pin point more towards what I am wanting.

I got the following:
Megs M105
Megs M205
Megs AIO - pink stuff
CG Butterwet wax
CG Wet mirror finish

Then I have a 6" rotary:
- LC Flat pads
- orange - most aggressive so I am thinking M105 with this pad
- white - would be good with M205 or the AIO
- grey - Would be good with Wet mirror finish
- blue - Butterwet wax
- tangerine - also M105 with this pad but not as aggressive as the orange
- crimson - ???

I have read about the pads and looked around. Many of them seem to do the same things. Then some of the pads have recommendations for them. The tangerine says Wolf Gang finishing glaze. then you look up wolf gang finishing glaze and it says to use a different pad??

Then I also have a 5.5" DA:
- CG Hex logic pads
- yellow - very aggressive, probably wont be used at all
- orange - seems to similar to the LC orange from what I read
- Green - I would use this for AIO or M205
- white - seems to similar to the grey LC
- blue - cleaner pad so I was thinking a polish of some sort
- black - would be a finishing pad so a wet mirror finish
- red - would be a wax such as butter wet wax

Again, I have read a lot and they all seem to be doing the same thing. But most likely i will be using 2 different machines (if needed).

When I start to read and read, I turn into a head case and over complicate things and threads like this start. lol!

I hear good things about the Menzerna SF 4500. Would that replace something I have already or be an upgrade?

If I am close to solving world poverty let me know or if I need to refine things let me know also please. I think my brain is fried. haha!

thanks everyone

vobro
04-13-2015, 06:30 AM
In general you seem to be right, however certain paints/cc respond different. That is why a test spot is important, find what works on the car you are working on. What DA do you have? I myself am a "planner" but it's best to get experience and a solid technique, so get out there and learn.

alteredzx
04-13-2015, 06:39 AM
I just have a HF DA. I have used it on my sportbikes for the last 15 years. I am comfortable with it. I have bought 3 different color hoods off of craigslist and will be working on those trying to "perfect" my technique.

Currently, I am working on my own cars. '04 Tahoe (silver) and a '12 Taurus (silver). So I am good with silver. haha!!

vobro
04-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Since you have 3 practice hoods why not wetsand a half a hood? That way you can see exactly how each pad/polish respond, this is how I learned and there's nothing like seeing the results

alteredzx
04-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Yes sir. Thats a good idea. I guess I didnt really think about it being a good guage. haha!

dlc95
04-13-2015, 07:35 AM
All that right there is why I've moved to the Lake Country Hydrotech line. Three pads, and you're done.

alteredzx
04-13-2015, 07:41 AM
the cyan, tangerine, and crimson is all that the process needs?

dlc95
04-13-2015, 07:51 AM
the cyan, tangerine, and crimson is all that the process needs?

I should qualify that statement by saying that I'm still testing, but love the idea. And so far the results have been fantastic!

I should also add that I've included LC's ultrafiber microfiber pads in the event I need more cutting ability.

Meguiar's also has three pads in their foam series, and they also have been well recieved.

dlc95
04-13-2015, 07:56 AM
ok, so I just bought a whole flurry of items so I can test out and see what I like. After I get stuff mixed and matched then I can pin point more towards what I am wanting.

I got the following:
Megs M105
Megs M205
Megs AIO - pink stuff
CG Butterwet wax
CG Wet mirror finish

Then I have a 6" rotary:
- LC Flat pads
- orange - most aggressive so I am thinking M105 with this pad
- white - would be good with M205 or the AIO
- grey - Would be good with Wet mirror finish
- blue - Butterwet wax
- tangerine - also M105 with this pad but not as aggressive as the orange
- crimson - ???

I have read about the pads and looked around. Many of them seem to do the same things. Then some of the pads have recommendations for them. The tangerine says Wolf Gang finishing glaze. then you look up wolf gang finishing glaze and it says to use a different pad??

Then I also have a 5.5" DA:
- CG Hex logic pads
- yellow - very aggressive, probably wont be used at all
- orange - seems to similar to the LC orange from what I read
- Green - I would use this for AIO or M205
- white - seems to similar to the grey LC
- blue - cleaner pad so I was thinking a polish of some sort
- black - would be a finishing pad so a wet mirror finish
- red - would be a wax such as butter wet wax

Again, I have read a lot and they all seem to be doing the same thing. But most likely i will be using 2 different machines (if needed).

When I start to read and read, I turn into a head case and over complicate things and threads like this start. lol!

I hear good things about the Menzerna SF 4500. Would that replace something I have already or be an upgrade?

If I am close to solving world poverty let me know or if I need to refine things let me know also please. I think my brain is fried. haha!

thanks everyone

The Crimson is a finishing pad, for fine polishing and waxing. I used it for the first time yesterday on a Chevy Cruz. I used it to apply sealant. No marring or anything. It's difficult to wrap my head around the concept of these hard pads finishing out like they do.