PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice in refining my polishing approach

bladerunner
08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I am working on my polishing approach. I have been doing lots of reading here. I am currently working on a black '95 Lincoln Town Car that hasn't really been detailed before. It belonged to a small funeral parlor in the middle of Kansas.

I currently use Menzerna Intensive and Final Polish (most of my Megs stuff is used up now), followed by Megs paste carnuba. But I want to adjust that a little. I want to follow up the Final polish with the Menzerna Glaze, then the carnuba (eventually replace Megs with XMT) and then Wolfgang sealant.

I have the car roof and hood that I already finished with the Intensive, Final, and Megs Carnuba.

Here's the question. Can I just go back on that car and hit it with the Menzerna Glaze, Megs Carnuba, and Wolfgang sealant, or do I need to clean off the current carnuba first? I would think the glaze over the existing carnuba is OK but wanted to ask. I have the PC and just got my LCC pads.

Thanks for the great forums and products!

Steve

PS. Working my way 'up' to carpets.

Thejoyofdriving
08-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Menzerna Glaze, Megs Carnuba, and Wolfgang sealant

Well first of all you can apply a glaze over the existing layer of wax. I personaly have never heard of someone waxing glazing than waxing, so im not sure if its a good idea or not. Also you are not going to want to apply a sealant over a wax. I have heard that most sealants will not bond on top of a wax. So you are going to want to glaze, wax, then seal.

Reddwarf
08-31-2007, 07:36 PM
You should not put WGDS on top of the glaze or wax. It will not bond properly.

blk45
08-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Well first of all you can apply a glaze over the existing layer of wax. I personaly have never heard of someone waxing glazing than waxing, so im not sure if its a good idea or not. Also you are not going to want to apply a sealant over a wax. I have heard that most sealants will not bond on top of a wax. So you are going to want to glaze, wax, then seal.

Contradicting yourself there at the end.

DAL1955
08-31-2007, 11:25 PM
As others have said, glaze, seal then wax, but make sure you are using a compatible glaze.(i.e. no carnuba). The Wolfgang glaze is fine under the Wolfgang DGS.

DAL

FMINUS
08-31-2007, 11:52 PM
:D
Contradicting yourself there at the end.

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-01-2007, 12:02 AM
You want to glaze, sealant, then wax. I have not had any bonding problems with Menzerna glaze and Wolfgang sealant. After you see your results with Wolfgang you will not need to top it with wax.

Thejoyofdriving
09-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Contradicting yourself there at the end. I was not contradicting my self. I said that assuming that there would be no base coat.

BlackCoupe
09-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I was not contradicting my self. I said that assuming that there would be no base coat.

Here is what you said:

"Also you are not going to want to apply a sealant over a wax. I have heard that most sealants will not bond on top of a wax. So you are going to want to glaze, wax, then seal."

So first you said "you are not going to want to apply a sealand over a wax, then you said "wax, then seal"

So I guess you are still not reading.

bladerunner
09-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I did find this today on the website. So it's sealant, then wax.

Concours Tip

If you really want to amplify the shine, apply a layer of carnauba over a layer of sealant. The sealant will create a glossy, hard coating while the carnauba wax will enhance the depth and dimension of the paint. A popular combination in the forums is Klasse All-In-One (http://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html) under Souverän (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html).

bladerunner
09-10-2007, 02:55 AM
OK, I used the Menzerna glaze to remove the current waxes and touch up after a hit of Intensive and Final Polish. Looked very good. Then I lightly applied the Wolfgang Sealer and let it sit overnight. Buffed off the next morning and it looked good. I then applied a coat of Megs 26 Paste Wax. It is hard to remove and was leaving a haze behind. Lots of elbow grease. So, I used a coat of Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz to help lift off the haze of the Megs paste wax. I was disappointed in this. It left streaks behind and it didn't seem like the surface was very slick. In fact, I drove the car in the rain and the water just didn't roll off like I expected. I tried spraying some Spritz on an unfinished car and noticed the same thing so I don't think it's the wax only. I tried some Mother's Showtime next to it and didn't get the same problem. The Megs Ultimate Detailer also seemed slicker.
I do plan on switching to Pinnacle Sovereign for my black car so that will remove the hard to use Megs wax.
But how about the Wolfgang Detailer? Has anybody used it and what's the opinion of it? I am tempted to get off of it and go to Pinnacle's or XMT or Megs Ultimate.
The other wax I might consider is the XMT Max Wax but there seems to be a lot of people that like the Sovereign, especially on black.

Quiet
09-10-2007, 04:44 AM
"For the experienced car detailer, the car has to look "right". That may seem to be a vague statement, but there really is no better way to put it. It's the little things that add up. A detailing regiment that avoids scratches will prevent the surface from looking dull. Although it may not be obvious, seeing to the complete removal of all wax residue is also important.
When you are finished detailing the car, take a few minutes to look at it from a variety of angles. Think it over. Then ask yourself, "Does it look 'right'?" "

This is what I read somewhere else.I think your interest of polishing or even taken care of your ride.Be happy.

Thejoyofdriving
09-10-2007, 10:15 AM
sorrt
Here is what you said:

"Also you are not going to want to apply a sealant over a wax. I have heard that most sealants will not bond on top of a wax. So you are going to want to glaze, wax, then seal."

So first you said "you are not going to want to apply a sealand over a wax, then you said "wax, then seal"

So I guess you are still not reading.

Im sorry that im human. I will try to be perfect next time.

bladerunner
09-10-2007, 11:30 PM
I had to wash my car tonight as drove the car 500miles in rain etc this weekend. It does bead up well but doesnt run off like it did with the more hydrophobic Megs Ultimate Detailer. However, after washing the car I reapplied the Wolfgang Spritz. It worked a lot better this time. I wonder if the Megs paste wax wasn't all off last time and it created a hazing problem. I will be switching to the Soveran wax for sure. It's a lot of money but when you think about how much effort you put into this, it seems to be better.

OK, I used the Menzerna glaze to remove the current waxes and touch up after a hit of Intensive and Final Polish. Looked very good. Then I lightly applied the Wolfgang Sealer and let it sit overnight. Buffed off the next morning and it looked good. I then applied a coat of Megs 26 Paste Wax. It is hard to remove and was leaving a haze behind. Lots of elbow grease. So, I used a coat of Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz to help lift off the haze of the Megs paste wax. I was disappointed in this. It left streaks behind and it didn't seem like the surface was very slick. In fact, I drove the car in the rain and the water just didn't roll off like I expected. I tried spraying some Spritz on an unfinished car and noticed the same thing so I don't think it's the wax only. I tried some Mother's Showtime next to it and didn't get the same problem. The Megs Ultimate Detailer also seemed slicker.
I do plan on switching to Pinnacle Sovereign for my black car so that will remove the hard to use Megs wax.
But how about the Wolfgang Detailer? Has anybody used it and what's the opinion of it? I am tempted to get off of it and go to Pinnacle's or XMT or Megs Ultimate.
The other wax I might consider is the XMT Max Wax but there seems to be a lot of people that like the Sovereign, especially on black.