PDA

View Full Version : PC 7424 First Timer

swexlin
04-12-2015, 11:55 AM
After years of detailing by hand, I finally ordered a DA. Got the PC 7424 Poorboys kit from here at AG. Before I try the PC on my Viper (2013 Adrenaline Red) I figured I'd practice on my 2013 Dart in Blue Streak Pearl. This car is my DD, and almost never gets detailed, just a basic wash and wax. The usual swirls, etc. Not horrible, but they are there.

Figured I'd use the hood as a test and practice area. I watched the videos here, attached the orange pad and used a few drops of Poorboys light polish, and.......zip. No better, no worse than had I done it by hand. While the paint looks pretty good, the minor swirls are still there.

Frustrated. Guess I just need to practice more.

lpklemmer
04-12-2015, 01:18 PM
How many passes did you make on the section?

Using poor boys light polish with an orange pad will probably induce some slight DA haze since the orange pad is more of a moderate cut.

Since it is a newer car, try the polish with a white pad, maybe try a bit more than a couple drops of product. Did you prime the pad first? Are you applying 10-15lbs of pressure?

swexlin
04-12-2015, 03:08 PM
How many passes did you make on the section?

Using poor boys light polish with an orange pad will probably induce some slight DA haze since the orange pad is more of a moderate cut.

Since it is a newer car, try the polish with a white pad, maybe try a bit more than a couple drops of product. Did you prime the pad first? Are you applying 10-15lbs of pressure?

Thanks you. Pad was primed; not sure of how many passes. As to pressure, I was trying to let the polisher do the work, so perhaps I do need to add a little more pressure. I will do so and report back.

lpklemmer
04-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Definitely check out some more videos on youtube.

When polishing you need to add pressure for the product and pad to actually correct the paint. If waxing with a DA that is when you don't want to apply much pressure.

Usually 4-6 passes in a cross-hatch pattern are whats needed over a 24" x 24" section. Up and down overlapping, then left to right overlapping while keeping constant pressure and speed.

swexlin
04-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Definitely check out some more videos on youtube.

When polishing you need to add pressure for the product and pad to actually correct the paint. If waxing with a DA that is when you don't want to apply much pressure.

Usually 4-6 passes in a cross-hatch pattern are whats needed over a 24" x 24" section. Up and down overlapping, then left to right overlapping while keeping constant pressure and speed.

Thank you. I've been youtubing the last couple hours. I think I just need more practice.

HateSwirls
04-12-2015, 07:19 PM
The 7424 was my first DA, decided to buy one after many years of using a rotary.
I also have the GG6 and the Flex 341.
I still use my 7424 to date, very dependable.

Congrats.