PDA

View Full Version : hydrotech pad guide

gofastman
04-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Hi, I'm using optimum "hyper" products with hydrotech pads. The car I'm working on is an 01 Benz with rock hard silver metalic paint.
I got her shined up pretty good last year, it took hyper compound and a hydrotech cyan pad just to see any noticeable paint correction.
I'm wondering, for giving it a touch up will G-P-S with a tangerine pad finish down LSP ready? Do I need to use my red pads at all?
will this combo provide any noticeable defect removal?
Im realistic, she is my dally driver, so it probably won't be perfect, but shiny is good! :buffing:

Setec Astronomy
04-12-2015, 10:15 AM
I think tangerine and GPS would make a pretty good combo in your situation. It should give you some very light cleanup, where the crimson probably won't. Or just use some Hyper Polish? Hyper Polish + tangerine should finish fine on hard silver IMO. Crimson never seems to do much for me on hard paint, even though it's supposed to have more cut than a traditional finishing pad.

gofastman
04-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Thanks!
think I should go PC or rotary?
All of my pads are 4" if it matters.

parttimer
04-12-2015, 07:57 PM
I liked the hydrotechs until I tried hybrids.

gofastman
04-13-2015, 01:00 PM
I liked the hydrotechs until I tried hybrids.

What are those and what is it that they do better?

parttimer
04-13-2015, 01:05 PM
They last much longer than the hydros is one major difference. http://www.autogeekmobile.net/hybrid-power-finish-pads.html. You don't have just three choices, a wider array of foam to get a better finish!

gofastman
04-13-2015, 02:54 PM
I like only three choices! It keeps my OCD in check ;)

Audios S6
04-13-2015, 02:54 PM
They last much longer than the hydros is one major difference.

Hydroshred pads: amazing finishing combined with the durability of wet facial tissue.

A tangerine pad with GPS should finish down very well on hard silver paint, but you're not going to get a ton of correction.

dlc95
04-13-2015, 03:19 PM
I like only three choices! It keeps my OCD in check ;)

Same here! I added LC Ultrafiber microfiber pads to get some extra weight in the correction department - If needed. I absolutely love these pads. I'll know in the next week or so If they'll be able to hold up. So far they really perform great. The Cyan and FG 400 did a total clean up on a car that has only ever seen tunnel washes. Tool was a Porter Cable 7424XP, on speed 4.5.

gofastman
04-18-2015, 12:43 PM
How do the microfiber pads work finish and durability wise? Is it worth switching?
Specifically the ones from Optimum, I just really like that company I guess.

gofastman
04-18-2015, 12:45 PM
I greatly prefer 5" or smaller pads. I feel they are more comfortable to use because they transmit less force back into my hands

brettS4
05-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Hydroshred pads: amazing finishing combined with the durability of wet facial tissue.

This is exactly what I experienced. I had three pads last all of a half a car this weekend. Two had the velcro pull right off the back and the third literally exploded, sending pad 'shrapnel' flying in all directions.

I will never use a hydrotech pad again. But I admit they did finish really well for the very brief time they were usable.

swanicyouth
05-04-2015, 08:40 AM
This is exactly what I experienced. I had three pads last all of a half a car this weekend. Two had the velcro pull right off the back and the third literally exploded, sending pad 'shrapnel' flying in all directions.

I will never use a hydrotech pad again. But I admit they did finish really well for the very brief time they were usable.

They are fragile (somewhat) - but not that fragile. Your likely overheating them to have 3 pads grenade in a row. Unless, maybe they where all old?

CYANiDE
05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
First time detailing ever, I had to use two tangerine and swap about 3/4 way through detailing my car. One I used the most lost a few tiny chunks but still seems useable. I thought it was just my inexperience but I was really applying very, very little pressure and using only M205.