PDA

View Full Version : Squeegee drying ?!?!

dbreeze225
04-12-2015, 09:29 AM
hey so quick question i have read some people using a squeegee to dry of most of the car when washing. i have also seen people saying it has to be paint safe (obviously) i keep reading that the "water blade" is a good one. i don't have that but i do have one made by HDX from home depot. its brand new never been used and is called a "shower squeegee" but when i got this at home depot out of all the squeegee's this one was the softest and its clear not black like the others HD had. its actually softer than the "auto" one they sell. so i am trying to figure out if this is paint safe i personally think its good but wanted to check with every one else's opinion as i have always got pritty good advice here. the HD site for this product is also pic attached thanks guys... HDX Shower Squeegee-6675-20 - The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Shower-Squeegee-6675-20/204326109#product_description)

Don M
04-12-2015, 12:53 PM
I believe the general consensus is that there is too much risk of a dirt particle getting between the blade and the paint causing a scratch.

KMdef9
04-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Windows yes, paint no.

lpklemmer
04-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Squeegees are awesome for clearing the water off your windows after washing. Then you're not having to soak all that moisture off the glass and you can use your nice soft waffle weave towels on your paint. I would not recommend using them on paint, you're just asking for lines of scratches.

FUNX650
04-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Strangely enough, (or so it seems to me):

There must be enough requests for these type of squeegies...that the AGO store stocks a couple
different styles of them.

{And how about all the different chamois they carry,
as well.}

Bob

jmsc
04-12-2015, 02:26 PM
You are dragging water off with a squeegee just the same way if you were using a chamois or a mf to wipe/drag water off the painted surface. Catch a piece of debris and its gotcha.

Safer and better ways to dry a wet vehicle...ex. blow it off or dab/pat/blot using a ww or a mf.

bigez
04-12-2015, 02:31 PM
I experimented on my old car figuring that if it does scratch, it will be minor and I could correct it--I saw nothing.
But it was a big floppy squeegee like the California water blade.

Still, it makes me nervous since people are always saying it scratches so I agree with using a waffle weave MF towel and trying not to drag.

AutowerxDetailing
04-12-2015, 03:21 PM
They are perfect for drying your car............................

.................... if you don't care about scratches or swirl marks in the paint.

Billy Baldone
04-12-2015, 03:59 PM
I still use an old school California Squeegee. I wipe the blade after each pass. Never had an issue using this method.

BenSRT
04-12-2015, 05:10 PM
I dry with a electric blower and is make a very good job!