PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fix scratches / swirls on black porsche?

luciddaydream
04-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Hello
I have a black Porsche and I heard the paint is finicky on these.

I have some swirls and stuff on it and I want to learn how to get rid of them in the best way possible.

I know you guys are experts at this so I thought I'd ask.

So far I have used Scratch X -> polish -> wax and it seems to work decently..

I am just wondering if that is the right path to take.

conman1395
04-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Well I've done a black Cayman and my dad just got his new Carrera today. Porsche paint is soft and easy to correct. It's also easy to finish really well.
I'd get a DA, some Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish. Then get some Ultimate Liquid Wax. I honestly believe that is the simplest, yet best way to do this as a newbie.
Those are all made by Meguiar's, found OTC, and extremely affordable.

Don't forget the claying step. You must clay before any type of abrasive procedures begin.

That's my personal opinion. What year is the Boxter? My dad liked his way back, but once the Cayman came out he knew he wanted that. Had it for a while, and finally decided to be a proud 911 owner.

MattPersman
04-12-2015, 06:19 AM
If you are happy with your scratch x - polish - wax results then continue with the rest of the vehicle
What you have done is essentially a test spot. Sure you could buy Wolfgang, HD, CG, poor boys, Mothers, 3M, Car Pro the list goes on of different compounds and polishes and get results too but if what you have is working you can just go ahead and proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don M
04-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Aside from which products to use, the best advice I can give is to take your time and let the PRODUCTS do the work. If you don't have one, DO get a DA polisher, it will make life so much easier as well as giving you better results.

Ebg18t
04-12-2015, 09:05 AM
As the others mentioned get a DA. The Griots 6" unit is great for the $. It will save you time and provide you better results than doing it by hand.

Spend the time to do it right the first time. Properly decontaminate the car (clay & iron-x). Use the proper compound to remove the swirls, then use a finer polish to increase the shine before you add a layer of protection. With each step you have a ton of options.

A lot of people like the Meguires products. Wolfgang, Menzerna, Blackfire, CarPro & Optimum brands are very popular. For the most part it comes down to personal preference.

Depending on your situation you may want to look at the kits a available thru the AutoGeek store.