PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Nourishment to Clear Coat

davidc
04-11-2015, 06:00 PM
As some older people may remember the days when wax advertisements would state their wax would have ingredients to replenish lost components in your paint. I have been using sealants for a good number of years as Carnuba does not seem to hold up very well in Phoenix. While washing the Wife's van the noticeable dull sections were showing on the roof and growing. The thought went thru my mind that yes I may be sealing the paint/clear, but what is keeping it from drying out and leading to clear coat failure ?. The rotary and blue Edge wool pad along with Menz. PO 85RD were brought into service which cleaned those areas very fast. On a previous section before I used the DA and went all the way to M105 and a B&S orange pad and it was a real chore. I wound up doing the complete Van then used the DA and a B&S blue pad with DG 652 to clean any residue left behind. I have had a bottle of Collinite 845 and decided to try this instead of the traditional sealant in hopes that the oils/solvents will keep the clear coat alive. I am no expert in these areas by a long shot so I could be way off base with this. I should know in 2-3 months, maybe sooner. With all the rave reviews with Collinite and the only Carnuba/Sealant Hybrid I have it seemed like a good choice. Any and all comments appreciated on this as I would like to know the thoughts of nourishing your clear coat.

Dave

duffthebluff
04-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Hi Dave,

I have used DP Paint sealant topped with Collinite 845 with success. It does hold up very strongly given our harsh environmental conditions where I live in. Plus it keeps my paint looking shiny just by wiping down. I didn't reapply my Collinite until around 4 months. Do let us know as well if your Collinite holds up. Enjoy! :)

davidc
04-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Hi Dave,

I have used DP Paint sealant topped with Collinite 845 with success. It does hold up very strongly given our harsh environmental conditions where I live in. Plus it keeps my paint looking shiny just by wiping down. I didn't reapply my Collinite until around 4 months. Do let us know as well if your Collinite holds up. Enjoy! :)

I will find out, the 110's plus are on the way. Hope it lasts more than 4 months as that would put me right in August and it does not really cool down till December. You have the sand/salt/brine so I think I am fine with the heat although the roof and hood can get to 140 +.

Dave

FUNX650
04-11-2015, 09:38 PM
•Once the paint's matrix/structure of: resin(oils)/binders/etc. starts becoming compromised by its environment (including UV-Rays), natural and man-made fallouts, etc...

The question is:

•Will, or can, car-care products, that contain "oils":
-replace, replenish, and/or revitalize (or use your choice of terminologies)...those lost or otherwise displaced aforementioned "paint oils"?!?!

As such:
•Although I do believe that it is very worthwhile to understand why things work...

•All I'd like to add in furtherance of this subject matter is that: Whatever "oils" that Polishes/Glazes/Waxes/Sealants/(Coatings?) may have...

I want them to add value/benefit to a paint-system by providing the following:
Beauty, gloss, clarity, reflectivity, and richness of color...
All things that I certainly enjoy. :dblthumb2:

(A peek at one of my favorite adages):
"At the end of the day:
Either the car shines, or the car doesn't shine".

Note:
I don't want to get started on the aspect of any damages
to paint...possibly caused by "stripping oils", either. :laughing:

Bob

Bill1234
04-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Paints would fail a long time ago because they would become so dried out and crack as they were single stage or urethane paint. Now we have clear coat paint which all the layers are separated so it is stronger. The only way you nourish and maintain clear is to wash,clay and wax. Polishing out swirl marks is much cosmetic as it just improves clarity to the paint. In todays world. It would take about 5 to 7 years of paint literally failing so that it would flake off. I dont understand the oils/solvents concept really.