PDA

View Full Version : The works toilet bowl cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

Perfect_Image
04-11-2015, 05:16 PM
My inlaws were just told buy a person that wanted to detail there boat that they use the works to remove the brown stains off the hull. Now I have a cleaner that I'm working on just curious how bad the works is for the painted hull. I'm not old school haven't been around long so everyone chime in.

FUNX650
04-11-2015, 06:29 PM
My inlaws were just told buy a person that wanted to detail there boat that they use the works to remove the brown stains off the hull.

He wants to use: The Works!!...On brown stains!!...
OH: http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/word/crap-emoticon.gif

Now I have a cleaner that I'm working on just curious how bad the works is for the painted hull. I'm not old school haven't been around long so everyone chime in.
I personally would not use this toilet bowl cleaner (or any other toilet bowl cleaners, as far as that goes) on this or any other boat!

•Among its many unsafe/unhealthy factors:
-its active ingredient is Hydrochloric acid.

-HCl-acid will react with many other different materials and chemicals to produce Chlorine gas---which is deadly!!

Bob

North26
04-11-2015, 06:47 PM
I swear by toilet bowl cleaner. Just apply, agitate and rise off. It removes EVERYTHING. You have to remember that gel coat is not like a car. Car's are delicate, boats are not.

You should not approach a boat detail the same way you approach a car detail. If you do you will waste your time and money. If is not worth it to be super gentile.

Perfect_Image
04-11-2015, 07:24 PM
I have a chemical that is specifically made for gel coat to remove rust and brown stains. It just sprays on and the brown from backwaters disasters no rubbing and no fading no smell no fuse made by a reputable manufacturer that has been selling it for over 10 years for that purpose. But I assume it could clean my toilet also lol. This person used to detail his rv which is a really nice Monaco (sad it cost more than my house) . I was not in the business at the time and this person has worked in there area for awhile. I took that over as soon as I started detailing again and have picked up a few of there fans cause they were tired of the wax wearing off after a month and the fade coming back. I would never use that method there is times to save money but I don't think when dealing with people hard earned toys it is a time to skimp and make them deteriate faster than usual. But I could just be missing out on a cheap secret.

mswerb
04-11-2015, 10:20 PM
I used toilet bowl cleaner to remove rust spots on my garage floor.

dcjredline
04-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Am I wrong thinking that toilets are porcelain not fiberglass?

Do toilets also have gel coat on them?

FUNX650
04-12-2015, 12:36 AM

Yea...What's wrong with some of those people?!?!
BTW: Good questions...:dblthumb2:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1198.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/93337)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1199.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/93338)

Bob

Perfect_Image
04-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Lol Bob. When I heard that said from the other room by the guy trying to get business back I just shook my head. My in law did tell him about my miracle BOAT cleaner that is
Like magic just spray and disappear and it doesn't hurt metal. He offered to sell him a bottle and the person shrugged and said he is ok with his dollar cleaner I appriciate everyone's input I guess it's the adage of find what works for you and stick with it.

Odisious
04-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Can we make TBC the new acronym???

For instance...

"I gave my car a TBC wipe down before applying the coating."

Personally, I like it.

dcjredline
04-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Lol!!!!!

david b
04-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Where's the "like" button? lol

Ebg18t
04-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Toilet bowl cleaners are quite popular at the marina. I am not sure how well they work but I see people using them all the time on gel coat.

I have been using LA Totally Awesome for nasty stuff (baked on blood & fish guts) on my gel coat and muratic acid as needed for rust stains. But you need to be very careful with the muratic acid. There are a few brand name marine rust removers available. They may want to try those first.

damaged442
04-13-2015, 07:21 AM
I've always used Mary Kate On & Off on my boat and have for years with no detriment to the gelcoat. It's brutal stuff but works great. Ensure you wear appropriate PPE, and make sure you have adequate ventilation.

STPETEDALE
05-03-2015, 07:07 PM
The majority of those products contain oxalic acid. Mary kate, bar keepers freind all work great for non-skid.For severely neglected boats muratic acid, T.S.P. and oxalic acid are a must to prep boat. I order oxalic acid in 50lb bags and mix my own batches depending on job.

custmsprty
05-03-2015, 08:29 PM

Exactly.

I would NEVER use bowl cleaner with HCL in it on anything other than a toilet, not to mention the potential side issues like Bob mentioned.

PS I work for one of the largest distributors of mro / facility maintenance supplies in the country in sales and have access to some serious industrial grade cleaning products. Bowl cleaner with hcl is for toilet bowls. Their are however many that only have phosphoric acid which is also in many shower and bathroom cleaners.