PDA

View Full Version : Suction Ring on Dashboard

Mynewt
04-11-2015, 07:09 AM
Hi all.

I take care of a friend's '07 Audi A6 and he's made a ring on his dashboard with one of those super-sticky GPS/phone mounts.

I've worked on it enough (cautiously) to suspect that the mount didn't actually leave residue behind, but rather pulled patina out of the crevices. I'm not toally sure of this, but it seems most likely.

Any advice on how to make this go away? I've tried cleaning it off with undiluted dish washing liquid and I've treated the dash with Meguiar's G4116 Natural Shine. The latter made it less distracting for a month-or so, but overall it's been unaffected.

This is the most visible part of the dash of course (top and center) so whatever I do, I need to be certain it's not going to make the area worse.

Any experience with this? Any ideas?

Thanks.

(I spent some time searching and was surprised I didn't find anything on this.)

oldmodman
04-11-2015, 03:19 PM
I tried something way out in left field on a test dash I had gotten from a junk yard.
As a matter of fact I have two. An Audi and a Ford

I tried using a small amount of Comet sink cleaning powder on a sponge to see what would happen. It RUINED the Audi dash, but it totally eliminated the stains on the Ford dash and left a completely even matte finish.

So try it at YOUR OWN RISK! I won't ever try it on a car that isn't my own. And even then I will test a spot that is an unseen area under the dash.