PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Soft Top Care

njarmstrong81
04-10-2015, 05:59 PM
I recently purchased my wife a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited. I have sourced out and researched products for cleaning/protecting the black vinyl soft top. I am curious about what should be used on the plastic windows. I am hesitant to use Invisible Glass on it, worried about it damaging them.

Suggestions?

Eandras
04-10-2015, 06:46 PM
What ever you use just be careful not to scatch the plastic it is very soft and will get damaged easily. I sure some one with experience will chime in. You may want to do a search to see if someone posted in the past

Ed

MPBGT
04-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Vinyl windows can be sensitive. Never use anything with ammonia. There are specific cleaners made for it. A good one is made by imar it will clean and provide uv protection. Meg's makes a clear vinyl/ plastic detailer as well.

We at 303 just released one that you will see soon as part of our marine line. Probably the most important thing is using a high quality microfiber

swanicyouth
04-10-2015, 09:07 PM
The best thing I've found for stuff like this Griot's Plastic Cleaner. It's just for sensitive surfaces and leaves behind some protection. But don't get fooled. I wouldn't wash those plastic windows with anything else but car soap and copious amount of running water - because they will scratch easily.

If your looking for something just to spray and wipe them down, I'd use the Griot's stuff or ONR 1:16.

Nothing in a bottle that can prevent scratches on soft plastic like this. But there are polishes to remove the scratches. But, none of them will restore to brand new IME. Also, since this is a "soft" surface, DA polishing will likely be out of the question.

I own the Megs plastic cleaner, and IMHO it's not as good as the Griot's stuff or just ONR.

Ccrew
04-10-2015, 09:13 PM
As the former owner of two Jeeps, I can say definitively.

303 Protectant on the soft top and Plexus cleaner on the windows. Mopar also sells a window cleaner that is very good, but you can guarantee that it's rebadged something at twice the price. Meguiars Plastic cleaner won't do much.

MPBGT
04-12-2015, 05:34 PM
I've never used the Meg's product. Usually it's pretty hard to go wrong with something from them. The imar product works pretty well.

Here is our new clear plastic cleaner and protectant from 303. Yeah it's marine labeled because that is where you see most clear vinyl nowadays, since most convertibles have glass rear windows. It works great on convertible plastic windows. I've used it on my Fathers 280 SL.

http://www.autogeekmobile.net//303-clear-vinyl-protective-cleaner.html

Smitty4x4
04-12-2015, 07:00 PM
I have three Jeeps parked in my yard now and have had others in the past. I will second the 303 and Plexus suggestion. When washing the vinyl windows, rinse them off as much as possible. Then while running water on them with no nozzle, I use a very clean and soft microfiber mit with lots of car shampoo to ever so gently wipe them. I then use Plexus to polish and protect which also facilitates easy cleaning the next time. I have used 303 products for the rest of the top with great success. In my experience, plexus on the windows and 303 Aerospace Protectant regularly applied to the top will double it's life. My son bought a brand new top for his Jeep 4 years ago and put nothing on it. He just purchased a new one last month. My 9 year old top is just now starting to show signs of its age but still functions. Maintenance is everything with these.
I have not tried any of the other products suggested so I cannot comment; however, there are some that have been mentioned that I will be trying out. Especially the 303 stuff that was mentioned because I have always had good experiences with 303 products.