PDA

View Full Version : New to boat detailing

heelclickerman
04-10-2015, 03:17 PM
I'm just wondering when a customer brings you a boat to detail do you typically buff polish and wax etc the bottom of the boat? For me the customers brings the boat on a trailer to my shop and I don't see how you would be buffing the bottom! I would love to hear some ideas and what you other boat detailers do for customers... Thanks

whavens
04-10-2015, 05:21 PM
I just did a friend's new (to him) bass boat. I just did everything above the water line. Being a bass boat, it was put in and pulled for each use, as opposed to a boat that is moored somewhere. Everything below the water line was in pretty good shape. I would check with the customer to see what his expectations are.

North26
04-11-2015, 02:09 AM
-High Pressure Water Treatment and Hand Wash
-Stain Removal
-Dual Action Orbiter Compound and Polish of Outer Haul (Including Bridge)
-Canvas Cleaned
-Canvas Eisenglass Windows Cleaned
-Hand Wax of Outer Haul (Including Bridge)
-Interior Cockpit Seats Scrubbed
-Interior Cockpit Dash Cleaned
-Interior Cockpit Storage Compartments Cleaned
-Interior and Exterior Glass Cleaned and Polished
-Fenders and Line Cleaned
-Personal Items Cleaned and Neatly Organized (per owner consent)

Essentially that for $25-30 per foot. Most boats near me are kept all year in water except for service/detail/extreme weather, but in water = disgusting. Most have anti-fouling paint, so from there up. I have removed anti-fouling and reapplied for some of my more loyal customers it but thats for another day. Then I have packages for less money like wash, wax, polish, weekly, interior, etc..

I am mobile, so I mainly go to marinas. Usually boats are on blocks or trailer but most trailers do not touch the "above surface" haul. Also I really don't like to do boats under 23ish feet as they are less deep therefore I have to lower my prices. Like a bass boat I would decline, unless it was just a wash and wax, which can still be about $10 per foot, but for bassers or other small boats I usually apply like 2 coats of wax, one a standard cleaning wax and the other a "shining wax". I also will usually wax the trailer as some of the have like matching graphics. I do because it costs me probably $2 and maybe 20 minutes, and customers enjoy it. I don't want to shaft them as it is bad for business :)