PDA

View Full Version : Detergent for washing microfiber towels and foam wax applicators

Pages : [1] 2

CC268
04-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Hey guys,

I just purchased the Gold Plush Juniors and Guzzler Triple Kit here on AG. I also got the Pinnacle Polishin Pal with the foam pads and some microfiber pads as well.

My question is...do I really need to buy a special detergent on here to clean these items or can I use my own detergent?

What is the best way to clean pads with wax on them?

Thanks

Angus
04-10-2015, 12:26 PM
The simple answer is, yes you can use Dawn to clean your pads and oxiclean (free) & a extra vinegar rise to wash your mf's. They work, I used dawn & oxiclean for a long time, but don't any more. Dedicated pad cleaning and micro fiber washing products work better with less effort. If you have the coin, IMHO it's worth spending the extra cash.

builthatch
04-10-2015, 12:39 PM
as far as cleaning microfibers, you'll get every opinion you could imagine, and more.

i got a super wild bulk deal years ago on Micro-Restore, so, i always stuck with it. worked sensationally for me. sometimes, i will pre-treat bad stains with Shout, and for really stubborn towels or towels i thought would be stubborn, i'd pre-soak in Oxi-Clean. but the base detergent has always been Micro-Restore. recently, my stash started to run out so i looked around for updated input on cleaning options. Charlie's Soap, Woolite, Free/Clear, regular Tide but with vinegar rinse...all kinds of opinions and combinations. welp, i stumbled on a product called Towel Kleen for about $17 shipped (gallon). reviews are very solid and despite me writing off the 3D brand a long time ago as just another private label wannabe, i figured what do i have to lose, esp. if the reviews and write ups are accurate and to top it off, if it's actually more cost effective than using pretty much all of the other options if you consider per use cost. so i received a gallon it this week and will give it a shot next time.

for pads - i have always used Dawn. actually any applicators or pads in general, including the applicators for Opti-Coat coatings. BUT...every manufacturer is different and while i find all of Optimum products to come out of pads and applicators well with Dawn, some brands' products will fight you to the bitter end and require more advanced cleaning.

Jaretr1
04-10-2015, 12:53 PM
I havent had any better results with Micro Restore or any other dedicated microfiber detergent than plain ole Tide Free. Any laundry detergent will work fine as long as its free of perfumes and softeners. Also, when drying the towels, do not use any dryer sheets.

CC268
04-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Well...I will look into dedicated microfiber detergents...but as a second option Tide Free would work? This guy: Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent, 40 fl oz - Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/23803918?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017248442&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40342931912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78303663032&veh=sem)

I will clean the pads in Dawn!

What do you guys mean by the vinegar rinse?

As far as drying goes...just dry like normal with NO dryer sheet right?

irvsmith
04-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Well...I will look into dedicated microfiber detergents...but as a second option Tide Free would work? This guy: Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent, 40 fl oz - Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/23803918?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017248442&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40342931912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78303663032&veh=sem)

I will clean the pads in Dawn!

What do you guys mean by the vinegar rinse?

As far as drying goes...just dry like normal with NO dryer sheet right?

As far as drying - I put the temperature level on "Delicate" and then select the Air Fluff cycle. I believe this uses a slightly higher temperature than just leaving it on Air Fluff alone but still is gentle for the MF towels. I of course do not use dryer sheets.

KMdef9
04-10-2015, 01:29 PM
I like my MF specific detergent, if found on sale, like bulthatch said, ends being cheaper than regular detergent anyways, with no hassle of changing brands or anything like that.

For pads, it depends on the product. I try an APC first (they usually soak in APC while I'm cleaning up other things), then Wolfgang Pad cleaner then regular detergent.

And yes, low heat with no drying additives! So no sheets, bars, balls, etc.

I'd also recommend not air or rack drying unless your location is 100 percent dust free.

CC268
04-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Dang...I hate to pay $12 shipping on a $15 bottle of special detergent...If I am going to get the specific stuff though what brand should I go for? Micro-Restore

CC268
04-10-2015, 02:08 PM
The more I read about this it seems like Tide Free is just fine. Can anyone tell me how the vinegar is used? Some people pour half a cup of white vinegar in with the detergent at the beginning??

silverfox
04-10-2015, 02:26 PM
This works perfect every time

1. Presoak with ONR solution for at least an hour.

2. Hot water wash

3. ALL (free and clear), 1.5 oz. per load

4. White distilled vinegar with extra rinse cycle. (4oz.). Substitute for fabric softener.

5. Delicate dry, low heat, 30 minutes using timer.

CC268
04-10-2015, 05:37 PM
This works perfect every time

1. Presoak with ONR solution for at least an hour.

2. Hot water wash

3. ALL (free and clear), 1.5 oz. per load

4. White distilled vinegar with extra rinse cycle. (4oz.). Substitute for fabric softener.

5. Delicate dry, low heat, 30 minutes using timer.

Can you discuss this in more detail...what is ONR...when you say hot water wash is that in the sink or washing machine. Is ALL a detergent?

You do two separate washing machine cycles...one with detergent and one with vinegar?

af90
04-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Can you discuss this in more detail...what is ONR...when you say hot water wash is that in the sink or washing machine. Is ALL a detergent?

You do two separate washing machine cycles...one with detergent and one with vinegar?

Onr is optimum no rinse.

All free and clear is a dye less scent less detergent found in the grocery store.

Eandras
04-10-2015, 06:53 PM
I use my wife home made laundry detergent. It works great and has no smell. You can make in liquid or powder form. All the ingredients add up to around $8.00 and makes a lot of detergent. Come out to around $.04 per load. You can use it on all clothes, towel and microfibers.

Pad I use my pad washer with an APC. I don't like to wash the pad in the washer since some product is still in the pads

Ed

CC268
04-10-2015, 06:56 PM
I think I may just bite the bullet and buy the Chemical Guys MF wash...

Pads I will just wash in Dawn.

CC268
04-10-2015, 07:54 PM
I have easy access to All or Tide Free and Gentle...Oxiclean is readily available. Is it really worth spending 30 bucks on CG MF wash and 12 dollars for shipping??