PDA

View Full Version : New Treads for my Truck

Pages : [1] 2

Dust2Glory
08-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Well today I got some new tires for my truck!!! Kumho Road Venture MT's. Since my wife said yes to new tires, these were my first choice. I don't do alot, if not any off roading, but if I happen to slip off into a bad place... I wanna know I can get out. Also excited cause my brother Wolfpacker sent me samples of DP tire gel and Pinnacle Black Onyx. I had a same of DP earlier and liked it, but wanted to give it another run.

So what I did was go to walmart and buy some AA tire gel to give some competition to the mix. One tire got AA, one DP, one pinnacle... and for kicks and giggles I did a 50/50 of DP and Pinnacle. Now upon first application of Pinnacle and DP they pretty much apply the same, except DP is a little thicker. They both seem to have the same gloss, but distinct smells to each. So I will update this post every thurs. evening for a month or so to see which of the three lasts the longest!! AA went on easy as well, somewhat easier being not as thick, but that might not be the best thing either!

AA Tire Gel:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z101/preacher4jsus/PICT2610.jpg

Pinnacle Black Onyx:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z101/preacher4jsus/PICT2611.jpg

DP Tire Gel:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z101/preacher4jsus/PICT2612.jpg

50/50:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z101/preacher4jsus/PICT2613.jpg

Some pics of the tread!!!:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z101/preacher4jsus/PICT2614.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z101/preacher4jsus/PICT2615.jpg

And yes I know my wheel wells look like crap, but I'm in a rush, so not time to dress with AA tire foam!

Russecu
08-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Man those are some meaty tires. I didnt know kumho made any like that. Very nice glossy shots.

Surfer
08-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Nice and meaty, never seen that tire from Kumho, we have a set of their track tires that rock, excellent brand.

Big fan of AA gel, it is thin which I like as it makes it easier to spread and doesn't get gunked up in areas like some thicker gels. Good durability too. Best otc tire product, right there with the boutiques.

Nica
08-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Man those tires got some MEAT!!! As for the dressing on the tires, just briliant buddy. They all look good to me though, maybe it's just me but I find it hard to compare from the pictures...but again that could just be me....oh do tell, how did the 50/50 mix feel? Did it apply easy?

Thanks for sharing

Reddwarf
08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
WOW! Those are some nobby tires. I have Kuhmo's on my Jag and I love them!

I'll be interested to see your test results. I have DP and Pinncale products. I think the Pinnacle last much longer and has a little better shine.

Meghan
08-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Very nice tires! Those look like they would be fun for four wheeling.

ScottB
08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
very wet tires ... that tread sure looks like it will make a howling while using on the road however.

Surfer
08-30-2007, 08:11 PM
very wet tires ... that tread sure looks like it will make a howling while using on the road however.*Thinks of friends truck on swampers going 75 on highway*........"HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" , that was a long drive lol.

wolfpacker92
08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Dust those are some killer tires. I'm glad I could trade with ya. I too am anxious to see how the 50/50 does. I'm also with Reddwarf in that to me the Pinnacle seems to last a little bit longer, but for the price I love DP! Oh and thanks for hooking me up with the Liquid Souveran. It came today and not a moment too soon as I was doing a black F350 (I'll be posting pics as soon as they upload) and was really wanting to try the LS per your advice. Turned out as good as you said it would.

ehuth1
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Nice meats D2G! I remember awhile back you told me to get those when mine eventually wore out, I might look into that from what I see !!

One Q, did you prep the tire with aerosol before the application of gel? Reason I ask is, there are alot of nooks and crannys that could lead to sling off...

supercharged
08-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I find myself always coming back to Pinnacle and DP tire products...AA is not bad either...

Dust2Glory
08-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Man those tires got some MEAT!!! As for the dressing on the tires, just briliant buddy. They all look good to me though, maybe it's just me but I find it hard to compare from the pictures...but again that could just be me....oh do tell, how did the 50/50 mix feel? Did it apply easy?

Thanks for sharing

the 50/50 went on same as products by themselves... applied the same, little easier since Pinnalce is more liquidly. kind of diluted somewhat

Dust2Glory
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
very wet tires ... that tread sure looks like it will make a howling while using on the road however.

from what I read from Kumho... they specifically made this MT for people who what the look of an MT, but ride of a street tire. alot of it comes from the foward tread design. the only time i feel the MT is when I start and stop, after that i forget it's on there. I love this tire, and sometime I will get in some mud and see what they're made of!!!

Dust2Glory
08-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Nice meats D2G! I remember awhile back you told me to get those when mine eventually wore out, I might look into that from what I see !!

One Q, did you prep the tire with aerosol before the application of gel? Reason I ask is, there are alot of nooks and crannys that could lead to sling off...

are you asking if i sprayed the top with aerosol tire dressing, then the middle with gel?? if so, no i didn't. I though bout sling, but the car is parked for the night... not really worried about it right now

Surfer
08-30-2007, 09:43 PM
from what I read from Kumho... they specifically made this MT for people who what the look of an MT, but ride of a street tire. alot of it comes from the foward tread design. the only time i feel the MT is when I start and stop, after that i forget it's on there. I love this tire, and sometime I will get in some mud and see what they're made of!!!Thats funny that you said that, MT tires have a funny characteristic with a weird howl/vibration sound usually that if its your first time with that type of tire, you'll think something is wrong with your truck lol. My friends Cummins Ram had 35" MT's and when starting or stoping there was always this funny sound/vibration (kinda like whuuuu), he could not figure out what it was....ended up it was just the nature of the tires, thought something was wrong with the truck lol.