PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Bond Tire Gel on trim and interior?

Mantilgh
04-09-2015, 09:51 AM
I have some Opti-Bond that I ordered from AG this winter and haven't had much of a change to try out yet.

I have applied it to one tire using minimal prep. The truck is rarely used and probably has had less than 10 miles put on it since application about a month ago. It is exposed to the elements. It's seems to have a nice even appearance and hasn't really been affected by the rain running off of it.

I was looking at the description on AG the other day and it's says;
Opti-Bond Tire Gel is a thick, water-based formula that provides high gloss shine and great durability on all tires, wheel wells, interior and exterior trim, vinyl, and dashboards.

So I was bored the other day and decided to try it out on some trim, wiper cowl, bumper, and a two different black plastic mirrors. I did not apply to the whole surface of any of them because I want to see how long it would last. It looked pretty good and definitely darkened all the plastics.

I also tried it on a interior door panel. It turned out very glossy, maybe a little too much for my tastes. Also, it feels a little greasy, but it might be the slickness of it I'm feeling. Doesn't seem to have left anything behind or on my fingers when I touch it.

I did this in the evening and then it rained that night, and on and off for the next couple days. The rain has not washed it all off, but definitely affected to appearance. Where the water runs off the hood and down the bumper there are lines that appear to be rinsed off and a slight amount of blotchiness. Both mirrors (2 different cars) are fairly blotchy. And I can also see oil on water in the beads of water that remain this morning.

My question is; Does Opti-Bond have a cure time before it should get wet?

Does anyone use this on exterior trim, and how long does it seem to last?

And, does it get blotchy if rained on no mater how long it been allowed to dry/cure?

Setec Astronomy
04-09-2015, 09:56 AM
I dunno, those PDMS dressings never really seem to work on external hard plastics (as far as durability). I'd use one of the trim sealants (WETS, BTTTS, UTTG) or a trim coating (C4, DLux).

As far as your "greasy" comment, I find Opti-Bond to be the one dressing that doesn't feel greasy, even when you get it on your hands when you're dressing tires.

Mantilgh
04-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Yep, I would like to try some of those mentioned or the Turtle Wax Endurashine coatings. I just had it on hand and figured I'd try it out to see how it looked and if it would last a little longer on something that sees less stress than a tire.

I think it just felt so slick on the interior that it had kinda had a greasy feel. There was no oily residue left behind, and does not smudge or smear. Doesn't seem to scratch off either.

I think this would work for the poster the other day looking for a shiny interior dressing for on of his customers. Can't imagine it on a dash.

Note: Just went out and sprayed some water on the interior panel that I had done 3 days ago. Sprayed and wiped lightly with my hand and got the oil in water effect. I did just do the interior with the Dub Interior Clean and Shine about two weeks ago. Don't know if that would make a difference. And none of the exterior was cleaned or preped in any way.

Calendyr
04-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Opti-bond is waterbased. So if you put water on it after you apply it, it will disolve it. With that being said, on tires it still last a good amount of time.

For trims and interiors, you can dilute it and put it in a spray bottle if you want. If I remember correctly the directions suggests a dilution of 1:1, you will have to read the label I can't remember for sure. But diluting it will reduce the gloss and the slick feel.

I have never used it on interior, I use hyperdressing instead but I have a feeling both products are similar. Hyperdressing starts as a thin liquid and can be diluted up to 4:1. So in my mind Opti-bond can probably be diluted even more since it's a very thick liquid to start with. You would have to experiment with it.

Mantilgh
04-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Opti-bond is waterbased. So if you put water on it after you apply it, it will disolve it. With that being said, on tires it still last a good amount of time.

This is what seemed to happen on the interior panel I misted with water and rubbed, then wiped with a cloth. Seems the gloss and the product is gone.

Maybe it actually does get absorbed some by the rubber and not by plastic. Seems kinda odd to me that they would recommend it for such if it is going to be dissolved and slowly washed away by rain.

I wondered the same about the dilution ratios like what is done with CarPro Pearl.

I have it 1:1 in a 4oz bottle with finger pump sprayer similar to what Ultima Interior Guard Plus comes in. Makes a nice fine mist. I did use my spray version on the tire and was not nearly as glossy. Was a nice satin look. Used it full strength on the trim and interior test.

builthatch
04-09-2015, 03:40 PM
email Dr. G and ask him what he thinks.

imo i'd stick to tires. it works particularly well on them.

Calendyr
04-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Agreed, for tires it's a great product. It's pretty much the only thing I use on tires besides Turtle Wax Coating.

I love the fact it doesn't sling and lasts 2 to 4 weeks depending on rain.

Mantilgh
04-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Ok. I am going to try some more tests with it before I give up. I am going to try again when it not calling for rain and I will actually clean the surface well before too. And my application method could definitely be improved.

Mantilgh
04-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Well, so much for waiting. Last night I decided to try again, but using little better technique.

Cleaned with a fairly strong APC.

Then I cleaned with alcohol.

Then I used a quartered foam make up round as an applicator.

Applied and let sit, then wiped off excess.

Then it thunder stormed a couple of hours later.

They do look better today. Much less spotting and less noticeable streaks on the bumper. It's supposed to be nice this weekend so I'll check it out tomorrow. Maybe I will redo or just add some extra and wipe off to see if it makes any difference if it gets to sit in the sun for a couple of days.