PDA

View Full Version : How much protection can a rinseless soap really leave

FocusSTguy
04-08-2015, 08:38 PM
A lot of rinseless washes have wax or gloss enhancers in them and say they will protect the paint. If you washed your car at least once a week could you get by without waxing or using a sealant? I'm definitely not going to try that but was wondering how much if any protection they actually leave. We just had our first spring rain and was happy to see how well the car is still beading water.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=93316

I put Jetseal on over 5mo ago and have only washed it since. I did a riseless wash using Pinnacle Liquid Gloss Rinseless Wash with Carnauba about 4 days before it rained and wonder if that has anything to do with it.

North26
04-08-2015, 09:19 PM
You wasted the chance to find out!!!! Kidding

I always assumed that were nor better or worse than a traditional car wash & wax mixture available. I have always figured companies just mixed a soap and some spray wax and marketed it as a wash & wax to appeal to the average weekend warrior.

Real Riders
04-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Pinnacle Rinseless seems to protect the paint. I always go over it later with Pinnacle Waterless to remove any impefections, smudges or water spots. I don't think you need wax in my opinion , just the rinseless and waterless. If you need more protection you could always spray the car down with Hydro 2 a couple times a year

FUNX650
04-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Good question.

Let's say, (just as they're advertised):
They definitely do leave protection behind.

Would that make you change your mind?

If you washed your car at least once a week
could you get by without waxing or using a sealant? I'm definitely not going to try that...

Bob

FocusSTguy
04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Good question.

Let's say, (just as they're advertised):
They definitely do leave protection behind.

Would that make you change your mind?

Bob
Not really, waxing or sealing the paint with a machine is one of my favorite detailing steps. I got serious about detailing about 1 1/2 years ago and still look for any excuse to bring out the DA :laughing:.

KMdef9
04-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Not much, at least not from ONR IME, as I noticed a difference when I used to not use a drying aid or spray wax versus when I did.

FUNX650
04-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Not really, waxing or sealing the paint with a machine is one of my favorite detailing steps. I got serious about detailing about 1 1/2 years ago and still look for any excuse to bring out the DA :laughing:.
I'm with you on that!

Personally:
I'd rather use a rinseless product that doesn't
contain Wax, gloss enhancers, and the such.
A product like Meguiar's D114.

Bob

Desertnate
04-09-2015, 08:01 AM
I look at the wax/gloss enhancers in those products as cosmetic only. I can't imagine the small amount of wax in the solution offering much protection.

I'm with you on that!

Personally:

Bob

For the most part I agree. However, when I use DP's Wash and Gloss I've found the wax provides amazing sheeting action and actually boosts the shine a bit with a nice carnauba glow. On a well protected car, I found it eliminates the need for any type of drying or spray wax/QD shine booster after the wash.

Granted, in my example we're talking a traditional car shampoo and not a rinseless product so we could be talking apples to oranges.

Nick McKees37
04-09-2015, 08:21 AM
The wax/polymers in these products are more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. They do provide some UV protection, but not nearly as substantial as a traditional wax or paint sealant.

I know several people that only wash their car using a rinseless wash with wax (Pinnacle, Duragloss, Optimum) and follow with a spray wax afterwards. They do this bi-weekly and that's their only form of protection. Since they do this frequently (frequent car care is easy car care :) ) a traditional liquid/paste wax or sealant isn't "necessary."

I, on the other hand, like to have a solid coat of wax or sealant on the vehicle at all times. I also maintain my LSP with a rinseless wash with wax and/or spray wax, but a more substantial barrier of protection makes me feel confident that my paint will be better protected against bird bombs, road film, harsh Florida sun, etc.

:dblthumb2:

FUNX650
04-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Personally:

Perhaps I should've included:

I don't ever want any car-wash products' "wax & gloss" ingredients---great or small---effecting their characteristics
upon my choice of LSPs in any way...whatsoever!

Bob

LaFawnduh
04-09-2015, 09:53 AM
The wax/polymers in these products are more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. They do provide some UV protection, but not nearly as substantial as a traditional wax or paint sealant.

I know several people that only wash their car using a rinseless wash with wax (Pinnacle, Duragloss, Optimum) and follow with a spray wax afterwards. They do this bi-weekly and that's their only form of protection. Since they do this frequently (frequent car care is easy car care :) ) a traditional liquid/paste wax or sealant isn't "necessary."

I, on the other hand, like to have a solid coat of wax or sealant on the vehicle at all times. I also maintain my LSP with a rinseless wash with wax and/or spray wax, but a more substantial barrier of protection makes me feel confident that my paint will be better protected against bird bombs, road film, harsh Florida sun, etc.

I'm with you, Nick. Adding a little extra on top is great, but need the good base layer.

Being the BF fanboy I am, the latest regimen has become a yearly light polish, plus Gloss Enhancer followed by BFCS + BF BlackICE + BFMS + BF BlackICE again, then weekly with BF Rinseless + BFWD Poly spray. And if I 2BW, it's BFMS QD as a drying aid and then Poly spray. After 6 months I will throw down another coat of BlackICE to bring it all back.

You can send royalties for BF advertising at any time you like!

FocusSTguy
04-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies, pretty much what I was expecting to read, very minimal protection.

D114 sounds like a very versatile product. I think I'm going to pick up a gallon after I go thru my current supply of soap.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
04-09-2015, 07:35 PM
It`s funny you bring up this topic as I just discussed it with a friend a few weeks ago.

He posed a situation as to whether his paint would be protected throughout the spring into fall if he had me me wash, clay, polish, and seal his car now. Then he would wash it weekly using ONR w/ Wax. Now theoretically, if I put something like Reload on his car, I would say yes. Obviously, the ONR w/wax would change the beading/sheeting properties of Reload.

However; could you wax your car now then maintain weekly with rinseless wash & wax with no problem....until winter here at least.....yes.
Would it look as good?......to the everyday person yes.
Would it protect as much as?......No.

Just my $.02

Klasse Act
04-09-2015, 08:13 PM

I would consider myself a little bit in this camp as well as your camp Nick. For the most part I use DG rinseless as my only way of cleaning my car since I live in an apartment, have been now for over 3 years. There's the occasional touch-free and quarter wash with the sprayer but for the most part, its DG rinseless as well as TW rinseless.