PDA

View Full Version : RIDS and options

irvsmith
04-07-2015, 11:00 PM
So now that I am getting a bit more comfortable with my process - I am finding a number of what I will call RIDS. Now these are the ones which I can mostly catch with my fingernail. My understanding up to this point with the RIDS is you would need touch up paint and shouldn't really try and go after them with a traditional DA like my GG 6". Can/should on go after these with wetsanding or is this too risky because you are just removing more paint? I guess I am just needing a little clarification on when wetsanding should be considered and when it should not.

Thanks in advance.

North26
04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Pictures would help. But generally anything you can feel with a fingernail you probably won't be able to get out.

Now with that said, it all depends on whether you can or cannot live with them.

If you can't. You will need to spot wet sand the area lightly. Buy GOOD touch up paint. With no clear coat added. Apply the clear with something very small, something like a sewing needle. Then after it has dried. Wet sand again to bring level. Compound and then polish. Now you will probably always be able to tell that where was touch up paint added, but it won't be as visible

tuscarora dave
04-08-2015, 01:01 PM
I've found these applicators to work best to apply clear for scratch repair for deeper rids. They can be found at most auto body supply stores or at Eastwood.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/p6312_zpsp0qqu9qy.jpg (http://s528.photobucket.com/user/tuscaroradave/media/p6312_zpsp0qqu9qy.jpg.html)

irvsmith
04-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Thank you - Tuscarora Dave and North26. I thought it might involve wetsanding and reapplying paint/cc to it. If it was a 'simple' wet sand then buff I might be willing to try it on my 2002 Volvo but not paint/cc as well. I will just learn to live with them.

tuscarora dave
04-08-2015, 01:19 PM
I've applied clear to some rids and then buffed over them without sanding. In some lower panel areas I couldn't really notice the repairs without a bright light to search for them. Some rids (deep enough) could be the beginning of a rust situation and should be protected with a coat of something just as a preventive measure.

Something to think about...

irvsmith
04-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Great thanks. I believe most of them - there is one really nasty scratch on the drivers rear quarter panel - might work with this approach. The RIDS are small/not very deep in my interpretation.

Here is one example - minus the clear coat failure spots there are a number of scratches on the lower end of the trunk lid.

https://sites.google.com/a/netwanderer.com/detailing-examples/home/IMG_1370.jpg

I've applied clear to some rids and then buffed over them without sanding. In some lower panel areas I couldn't really notice the repairs without a bright light to search for them. Some rids (deep enough) could be the beginning of a rust situation and should be protected with a coat of something just as a preventive measure.

Something to think about...