PDA

View Full Version : Polisher for beginner

Pages : [1] 2 3

LAKings22
04-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking for some help getting started detailing my cars. I'm going to order a polisher this week and can't make up my mind between the GG 6 and Chemical Guys Torq. I've read alot of great reviews about the GG6, does anyone have experience or used both these polishers? Which do you recommend?

A little about my minimum experience. Up until 3 years ago (before totaling my BMW e39). I would wash my car 1-2x a week and wax every 3 months. That's as far as it got. Since then I leased a Cadillac ATS and lost the drive and passion to do it my self and my local car wash is happy to see me every week.

Last week I decided to dust off the old electric pressure washer and all my supplies. I forgot how much rewarding it was to do it your self. I ended up upgrading to you 2500 psi gas pressure washer the next day and ordered a foam cannon, bucket, soap, wax, clay bar, clay lube, wheel cleaner, tire dressing, different brushes, window cleaner from chemical guys to get the collection started. The next step is the polisher and anything that goes along with it.

Cars I will be working on is my wife's white 09 camry, this car will be what I'll be learning on lol. The next is the 13 silver cadillac ats then when I'm a little more experienced, I will move on to the Black 12 Chevy Tahoe.

Any help and recommendations for polishers and products is appreciated.

ihaveacamaro
04-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Haven't used the CG one, but the GG 6" is what I always recommend as a beginner polisher. It's more powerful than the PC, and is backed by a lifetime warranty. Add in the factor of being the same price, and to me, it's a no brainer. When I got my GG and got used to it, I sold my PC because it was no longer really needed.

No idea on the Torq however.

As a general rule though, I prefer not to support CG as they are a very shady business, make crazy claims, unclear about product descriptions, and their spokespeople remind me of sleezy used car salesmen.

irvsmith
04-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Haven't used the CG one, but the GG 6" is what I always recommend as a beginner polisher. It's more powerful than the PC, and is backed by a lifetime warranty. Add in the factor of being the same price, and to me, it's a no brainer. When I got my GG and got used to it, I sold my PC because it was no longer really needed.

No idea on the Torq however.

As a general rule though, I prefer not to support CG as they are a very shady business, and their spokespeople remind me of sleezy used car salesmen.

I second the recommendation on the GG.

rlmccarty2000
04-07-2015, 07:58 PM
It is hard to go wrong with your first polisher. Most (I think) started with the PC and I still have mine. Just invest in lots of pads and good polishes and you can do most anything. It is easy to get addicted to the latest and greatest tool/polish/sealant thing. Start small and then spend all your money like the rest of us!

conman1395
04-07-2015, 07:59 PM
I'd consider instead the new Meguiar's MT300 and GG6. I've never used the MT300, but from what I've read it seems like it's great.

Eandras
04-07-2015, 08:26 PM
The PC7242, GG6" are good units to start out on. Polishing is more about technique. You can correct most defects in paint with either. I have the PC, GG6", GG3" and now 2 flex 3401. Got a good price over the weekend for the second flex. I am not a professional but an enthusiast that like to have a shiny ride

LAKings22
04-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Thank you. Does flex make any models that are good for beginers? looking for somthing thats alittle more forgiving to avoid messing up the paint if I make a noob mistake. I really like the price point of the GG6 but if couple of hundred can give me the best results and save me more time, I might want to look at investing the extra cash early.

ihaveacamaro
04-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Thank you. Does flex make any models that are good for beginers? looking for somthing thats alittle more forgiving to avoid messing up the paint if I make a noob mistake. I really like the price point of the GG6 but if couple of hundred can give me the best results and save me more time, I might want to look at investing the extra cash early.

I'd say wait because once you familiarize yourself with the GG and DA's in general, you'll better understand if you want to go up to the Flex or the Rupes. And you'll be able to keep your GG with a 4 inch pad for spot polishing :dblthumb2:

VISITOR
04-08-2015, 12:48 AM
the GG6 is a great choice and everyone should own at least one traditional style PC. it comes in handy in all different aspects of detailing. if you plan on purchasing the torq10fx, take a look at the megs mt300 instead. if you have any problems with the mt300, megs cs will take care of you. can't say the same for cg's if you encounter a problem with their DA, they'll probably blame it on user error or something. i'm not confident to blow $200+ on them in regards to any machines or detail equipment they may sell...

LAKings22
04-08-2015, 01:59 AM
the GG6 is a great choice and everyone should own at least one traditional style PC. it comes in handy in all different aspects of detailing. if you plan on purchasing the torq10fx, take a look at the megs mt300 instead. if you have any problems with the mt300, megs cs will take care of you. can't say the same for cg's if you encounter a problem with their DA, they'll probably blame it on user error or something. i'm not confident to blow $200+ on them in regards to any machines or detail equipment they may sell...
I'll look into the mt300 thank you. I did read alot of negative stuff about CG customer service but really nothing bad about the products they offer. They are a local company, customer service should be better face to face then email or by phone if anything did go wrong.

VISITOR
04-08-2015, 02:06 AM
I'll look into the mt300 thank you. I did read alot of negative stuff about CG customer service but really nothing bad about the products they offer. They are a local company, customer service should be better face to face then email or by phone if anything did go wrong.

that right there is enough to not want or support their products/company. why would you want to put $'s into someone's pocket if they don't care about the customer in any aspect of customer service? can't tell you how to spend your own money, but there so many great products from others companies out there these days that are honest and deserving, not to mention just good people as well...

Souldetailer
04-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Hey,

Welcome to the forum! I'm relatively new to the detailing world, and choose the Griots 6". It has accomplished everything I have asked of it. I have a 6", 5" & 3" backing plates for it so I can run the gamut of pads. It's a good machine, I took the handle off as many do and controlling it is very easy. Good machine and it has a LIFETIME garantee. Can't go wrong really, and Menzerna products rock. Good luck and take care.

Peace,

Darrin

LAKings22
04-08-2015, 06:58 PM
that right there is enough to not want or support their products/company. why would you want to put $'s into someone's pocket if they don't care about the customer in any aspect of customer service? can't tell you how to spend your own money, but there so many great products from others companies out there these days that are honest and deserving, not to mention just good people as well...

Which company do you recommend that offers both great customer service and great products?

LAKings22
04-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Hey,

Welcome to the forum! I'm relatively new to the detailing world, and choose the Griots 6". It has accomplished everything I have asked of it. I have a 6", 5" & 3" backing plates for it so I can run the gamut of pads. It's a good machine, I took the handle off as many do and controlling it is very easy. Good machine and it has a LIFETIME garantee. Can't go wrong really, and Menzerna products rock. Good luck and take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Thank you. The GG6 is the one I have decided to go wtih. I tried to get info on the MT300 and could not find much feedback from users. The Meg MT300 does look more comfortable to use but the GG6 is proven.

tuscarora dave
04-08-2015, 07:29 PM
I have the PC, GG6", GG3" and now 2 flex 3401. Got a good price over the weekend for the second flex. I am not a professional but an enthusiast that like to have a shiny ride

Machine Junkie!!! :bolt: