PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Pal Pad Care

DiamondShine900
04-07-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm wanting to buy the polishing pal for my project detail on my daily driver but I would like to know how to properly clean or wash pads after use so I can keep reusing them if you can help I would appreciate it..

Bunky
04-07-2015, 04:17 PM
You typically use 4-in foam polishing pads. You clean them like any other pad with an all purpose cleaner or a dedicated pad cleaning product. You should spray, let stand, then rinse the pads in water.

DiamondShine900
04-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Alright I'm looking into a pad cleaner also if you don't mind do I let it air dry outside or do I let it dry in a stored baggie?

Bunky
04-07-2015, 04:24 PM
I dry them on grit guards since they are convenient.

builthatch
04-07-2015, 04:35 PM
i clean my foam pads with dawn ultra and warm water, rinse really well and air dry on a drying rack inside my house. i only use Optimum polishing products and they all wash away well using this technique but other techniques might be required for other products. some products are really hard to evacuate.

Don M
04-07-2015, 06:59 PM
... other techniques might be required for other products. some products are really hard to evacuate.

Particularly the newer sealants, they are almost impossible to remove from a pad (Collinite falls into this category too). The best way I have found so far is to use Murphy's Oil Soap to cut the wax/sealant and then use an all purpose cleaner to get the Murphy's residue and what's left in the pad out ... even then, I don't believe the pad really gets cleaned out completely.

builthatch
04-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Particularly the newer sealants, they are almost impossible to remove from a pad (Collinite falls into this category too). The best way I have found so far is to use Murphy's Oil Soap to cut the wax/sealant and then use an all purpose cleaner to get the Murphy's residue and what's left in the pad out ... even then, I don't believe the pad really gets cleaned out completely.

everyone knows i'm an Optimum fanboi but this is just another reason why i stick with OPT stuff. but i know everyone likes what they like...i get it.

Ccrew
04-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Alright I'm looking into a pad cleaner also if you don't mind do I let it air dry outside or do I let it dry in a stored baggie?

I air dry them foam side up on wire cookie racks in my garage, but i also have 16' of laminate workbench to work with. Don't put them in a baggie wet, they'll mildew.

parttimer
04-07-2015, 08:13 PM
I dry them Velcro up, you don't want the water pooling at the Velcro! You might run the risk of the adhesive failing.

Eandras
04-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I dry them Velcro up, you don't want the water pooling at the Velcro! You might run the risk of the adhesive failing.

I agree with this alway dry Velcro up foam down

expdetailing
04-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Are you using the Polishing Pal for minor tasks such as, waxing and claying, or are you wanting to actually polish with it? In other words, are you trying to correct paint with it?

DiamondShine900
04-08-2015, 06:50 AM
I'm going to use it for wax and apply the Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0